What's your opinion about keeping your c-body 100 percent original?

Sounds like you have a great plan. Can't wait to see it finished.
That Makes two of us, I'm not rushing the project, just picking away at it.

As someone who as taken this approach with a 70 Polara ragtop I applaud you. WRT the drum brakes my apprach has been to treat them with respect and not to expect them to perform like those on my modern daily driver. That means an extra one or 2 car lenghts in all cases. It can be a PO when the knuckle draggers look at the bone stock points 318 and say "what that boat needs is a 440". So far I've resisted kicking anyone in the nuts. But all that goes away when you see her pretty as the day she came out of the factory or cruising with the top down. Keep the dream going!
I like the Small Blocks, my truck has a Small Block and so does my work truck on the farm, I've never had luck with Big Block trucks (mind you they weren't exactly new and were fairly tired). as far as the 4 wheel drums, He is only going to be out cruising on Sunny Days with the Top down. I won't be lead footing him too much, even then it'll be in a straight line ( a friend has told me I can use the tarmac at the museum he works at).

I know a few Knuckle draggers like that, infact I got in an argument with one who was a close friend ( I did 75% of his car), he kicked me and "Angel" out, had his mommy and daddy fight his battles, I mean at 17 aren't you responsible enough or have the balls to tell me yourself instead of sending your parents, Phuffff Pontiac Owners.

As far as the Factory fresh feeling, that is a dream, and I will achieve it, as I mentioned before I'm stubborn and hard work doesn't scare me.

WRT the drum brakes my apprach has been to treat them with respect and not to expect them to perform like those on my modern daily driver. That means an extra one or 2 car lenghts in all cases.

This is excellent advise. It's so easy to forget these boats won't react like a modern car while braking and handling even though the huge drum brakes are very adequate when a little common sense is applied.
On a recent road trip in the 69 300 I had a semi emergency situation happen and had to lean on the drum brakes pretty hard. They stopped the car straight and true from 60 MPH without squacking a tire.

I have a complete disc brake set up on my parts car that I was concidering swapping onto my 300 but don't know if it's worth the trouble now.

First thing my dad told me when I got the Fury, he had a '69 Polara with 4 wheel manual drums and a 318 too boot, he said take it easy till I get used to going from my truck to the car, sound advice from him and you guys.

Nick

An A to Z rebuild of an all drum manual system can lock up all four wheels quite nicely. You're not going mountain ralleying in it.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Back