Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

looks like three regulars got it. ill post answer thursday morning EDT. thanks to anyone who played.

hints. location is a business ...now anyway

and, some mangled Shakespeare for the course
world-is-your-oyster.jpg

then, I'll try to fry some brain pans with these last three games i have been saving . :poke:

Last edited:
#634. Catalina and lady on on north end of Governor's Island, with lower Manhattan skyline in background. New York City of course.
1727957977393.png

I believe the site is where the Island Oyster bar and restaurant sits today. Never been to that eatery, but folks say the view, and the oysters/seafood, are spectacular.

Several requlars solved this one. They can weigh in if they desire. I used one of @D Cluley pics from there today .. looks pretty good from the Island Oyster bar area, looking at the Battery Terminal area and Staten Island ferry port.

Screenshot 2024-10-02 195727.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-02 195727A.jpg

Other map photos below for geographic reference.

Screenshot 2024-10-02 22080B.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-02 22091D.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-02 22091C.jpg

We have been near here before: game in #376

1727958801227.png

I never studied lower manhattan the way I did until the last time governors island came up. That ferry building is very identifiable now that I know what it is. these have been a great run of puzzles.

The next three where I am OP will be pretty hard. Any one who gets ALL three, we are gonna hand out a unique, one-of-a-kind work of modern art.

There's Oscars, Emmys, Tonys, and Grammys. Now "Walter P.".

His statue is now at Bishop Airport in Flint, btw.

Ya gotta get all three games.

1 Where's the car, and 2. exact spot (or description IF you can't get Pegman in there (e.g., private property, site has changed since car ws there, ete., or there are stock photos from approximately that site) of the car.

Simple, right? :poke:

Walter P.png

I wanted to try this one just from my brain…. No googling for me this time. I cant get the peg man to line up perfectly, but I found it!

Out of town again trying to work with my iPad is different but I got it.
View attachment 685161

Alan
Say chief?

Is this a contemporary photo?

Reason I ask is I think there's only ONE piece of road that allows a proper l-o-s wtih skyline and near background.

And it looks different to me today. We can compare notes at the end, but just curious. Thanks.

IMG_2095.jpeg

I put that Porsche centered between those two palm trees. In the original picture, you can see the tree on the left is a different species of palm than the one on the right. This is the only spot on this [not to be named] road south of the [not to be named] city that has two different palms next to each other. If pegman could line up, I think we’d all find the exact same skyline as the original picture (with the exception of maybe some newer buildings)

View attachment 685412

I put that Porsche centered between those two palm trees. In the original picture, you can see the tree on the left is a different species of palm than the one on the right. This is the only spot on this [not to be named] road south of the [not to be named] city that has two different palms next to each other. If pegman could line up, I think we’d all find the exact same skyline as the original picture (with the exception of maybe some newer buildings)
that makes perfect sense. thanks!

You two cats, I hope someone else gets in before Monday AM EDT (when this game ends), are nominated for Walter P's.:poke:

#645, Wallter P. #1. Only two reported solvers.

1728298719623.png

This is Miami, FL. Location is on Rickenbacker Causeway (913).

Along that piece of road, I think I know what the car was. I say that because I can't quite get PegMan to line up with how the skyline looks now.

I don't know exactly which tree should be in the background, vs. the car and the skyline, etc. It could have been a bit further "left", for example, in the pic I posted, more toward the guy in blue shirt/jeans standing near water edge.

Screenshot 2024-10-02 22080B.jpg

1002.png

1728298666346.png

FLW 9L.png

So, somewhere in the red circle looked like it has approximately correct sight lines to me.

I picked the best fit, again to me anyway not being from the area, closest to the water, single guard rail visible, and someplace these people could walk toward the camera without getting "steamrolled" up on 913 overpass trying to cross on foot.

Anybody can weigh in of course if y'all saw/see it radically differently.

Walter P. game #2 mid-day today. Not impossible, but game has some wrinkles that make it challenging I think. :poke:

Walter P. Game #2.

Two statue nominees, but still giving "dudes" to any solvers. :)

1. Where is this circa 1950 Austin A-90?
2. Approximate spot today (description fine, photo would be cooler) that was basis for this illustration (note artist took "liberties" customary for the era)?

Answer this Friday morning, EDT. Good luck.

1728318411541.png

i have been here, but not from this side of the water. plus it was mid 1990's.

so never got this view in person.

it looks more "imposing" in the illustration than in any contemporary pic i have seen of it.

good luck, chief. :)

i have been here, but not from this side of the water. plus it was mid 1990's.

so never got this view in person.

it looks more "imposing" in the illustration than in any contemporary pic i have seen of it.

good luck, chief. :)
Not a view you typically see, made it a little difficult to pinpoint the spot.

Alan

Ok. Now I am a little embarrassed I didn’t know what that castle was. I am so uncultured!

:rofl:

architectural features gave it away to me on sight ... its a big joint in real life, but its size is exaggerated to me in the illustration.

plus both sides of the water have changed a bit.

thanks guys ... apparently your Walter P. nominations are still warranted :poke:.

still hope somebody else steps in too ... if not, seems like we can wrap this one a day early (Thursday).

thanks.

:thumbsup:

#652, Walter P. Game 2

1728559223046.png

Windsor, England, UK. (about 20 milles west of London). The building is Windsor_Castle, a 1,000 yr old residence of the British Royal Family.

Scene is looking south, east would be left, and west of course to the right. Waterway is the Thames River. These directions are kinda important to make sense of what follows.

20191121_065600.jpg

Two reported solvers. I think we agree on what/where this illustration is.

If there was ever a car here 70 years ago, OR whether this illustrator was just inspired by the location, etc., is hard to know. Correct solution is location and approximate vehicle placement in that location -- as there are 'anomalous' sight lines, to me, to pin it down exactly.

First, the building is illustrated larger than it appears in real life. The distinctive "castle keep" (the round building in the foreground) CAN be seen from the opposite (north side of the Thames River), and its big -- but NOT as big as it appears in the illustration.

Second, where is the Windsor-Eton bridge in the illustration? Its been there for 800 years. You can kinda get the sight lines to cooperate (except for elevation because the castle is so far away from the river) from somewhere on the north end of that bridge .. yet the the bridge is NOT in the illustration.

Third, the illustrator left out structures on the bank of the Thames that are there today, OR illustrator "improvised" and took artistic license and did NOT include them.

Following is my estimation of the car's placement. Anyone who sees it different, please chime in.

Below, just west of Windsor Eaton Bridge, looking southerly, in 1866
20201115_172859.jpg

Below today, looking south at Windsor Castle with Google Earth, from north side of Thames, the Windsor Eton bridge in the lower middle foreground.
Screenshot 2024-10-02 195727A.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-02 22091C.jpg

below, looking northerly today. Where I think (red circle) car COULD have been, and/or illustrator was standing, to get inspiration for the drawing.

There is, and always has been, a rather great distance from the south edge of the Thames to Windsor Castle. Seems the Castle would NOT have appeared so large from the north side of the Thames.

Red rectangle is present day building, on north edge of Thames, just to the west of the bridge. Likely was always something there. Residences and a "street" and/or "boat dock."

Alternatively, illustrator COULD have been on the east side of the bridge, then it would make sense the bridge WOULD NOT be in the drawing. However, the sight lines look worse the further east you get on the Thames.

20201124_173532.jpg

C7DD6F28-0C6D-44F5-8CBD-D942E5763F6E.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-10-02 195727.jpg

Last edited:
I feel it was done from further west, I had too many discrepancies at that location and at first wrote it off to artistic liberties.
So I started looking for pictures as Street View was useless and found this one.
Windsor_Castle,_across_the_River_Thames.jpg

The shadow line on the structure in front of the round tower lines up with the smaller round tower. Also the placement of the small square tower to the left.
1728559223046.png

Windsor2.jpg

Windsor1.jpg

If you move closer to the bridge you start loosing alignments.
The small tower to the left is no longer in the center and the shadow line is nowhere near the smaller tower.
Windsor3.jpg

Alan

Back