Who is rebuilding RV2 Compressors these days?

Ross Wooldridge

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

While I am not in an immediate need for a refreshed compressor (since I had two sitting in boxes on the shelf), now that I'm using one of my stockpile to do the repairs on the T&C as noted in this thread ( Compressor oil etc... ), I want to get my cores rebuilt.

I am not sure of anyone locally doing this any more, so I thought I'd ask here to see... thanks in advance!

I noted the impressive record of this seller on Ebay recently after selling a lot of RV2 compressors and I am strongly motivated to give him a try. I called him in the recent past and he told me had had run a compressor rebuilding business many years ago now and still has a lot of nos parts left over from many years in that business and decided to put them to good use after the company finally closed its doors. Here is a link as an example of his record:

(Seems like somebody, recently, was rebuilding their own RV-2 compressor in here?)

I noted the impressive record of this seller on Ebay recently after selling a lot of RV2 compressors and I am strongly motivated to give him a try. I called him in the recent past and he told me had had run a compressor rebuilding business many years ago now and still has a lot of nos parts left over from many years in that business and decided to put them to good use after the company finally closed its doors. Here is a link as an example of his record:

[/URL]

Ahh... he's probably got some EPR valves I'll bet.

My issue is I need to deal with the snout on the one that just experienced the clutch departure, and I don't have the ability nor the machine shop tools/machines to reface it and fix up the boogered keyway.

I'd probably be fine with regasketing, reringing, but I don't have the experience in assessing bearings etc. for the crank, or assessing the condition of the cylinder bores and all that.

I'd rather have a reputable shop do it.

Ok here's the dipstick specs for the earlier setup that leans to the right
KIMG0354.jpg

Great info, thank you!

I am trying to find out (can't find it in the FSM) what is the TOTAL amount of oil used in a dual system when assembled "dry"... say after a complete clean and flush procedure.

nowhere in my FSM is there a reference to the dual air setup other than to say it needs an extra pound of freon, and some procedures for testing its expansion valve...doesn't even show a picture of the roof unit...no mention of oil...if you can find the original bottle just add 8 oz of whatever kind it was to the new compressor (maybe flush the new one if you don't know what it was assembled with or how much may be in it)...if you want to flush and start over maybe your propane based substitute is cheap enough to sacrifice a charge and check it after running like the manual says?

Yeah, I know, I was really hoping to flush all the crap out and start new, but it is likely not the best approach given there's no clear indication as to how much oil is in the system to start.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

just realized I added the dipstick diagram to this thread and it should have gone in your "compressor oil etc" one...oh well

Last edited:
Thanks.

Re new oil, I think I'm going to go with replacing what's in the compressor sump route... can't find anything definitive for complete flush and renewal...

Back