Why is it???

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Someone answer this question for me.

Is it really all that much extra work to include the year and model of the car you are working on when you ask a technical question?

It used to be something that happened once in a while, but it's gotten out of hand. It's now to the point of where I skip over those questions and don't bother reminding them.

John, John, John, you need the right hat. So take the top hat off and put this one on as it seems to work well on anyone named John

carnac.jpg

No answers for you BJ but I too have noticed the lack of info. They say "There are no stupid questions" but expecting everyone to know what vehicle you are dealing with and what is wrong with not much more than "Why won't my car run?," is stupid IMO.

I gave up on Society, Humanity, and anything that requires Oxygen a long time ago.
Steve Jobs was truly doing the Devil's dirty work.

I'm with you there. No common sense now days. No reading or following instructions. Just join up, ask a bunch of questions and expect instant answers from fellows that have worked their tails off to know the answers. Most of the questions I answer, I look them up, so the answers are correct. Wait, why can't they? :poke:

I'm with you there. No common sense now days. No reading or following instructions. Just join up, ask a bunch of questions and expect instant answers from fellows that have worked their tails off to know the answers. Most of the questions I answer, I look them up, so the answers are correct. Wait, why can't they? :poke:
I really don't mind answering questions. Some answers are pretty obvious and some require a little thought and/or research. That is part of the fun for me... and I also have a selfish reason, I learn more about the subject matter.

I figure that sometimes folks don't really know where to look. For example, I always stressed that with our employees... You don't have to know the answers, but you do need to learn where to find the answers. Lot's of times, the poster will say they looked in the FSM, but if they aren't real familiar with the FSM's idiosyncrasies, it can be tough to find the answer... Then there are things that aren't covered in any manuals that have become "tribal knowledge" and that's the perfect question type for a forum.

Of course, there are times when there needs to be a question asked like "does the brake pedal feel spongy?" and for some reason, it doesn't get answered... That is frustrating and again, I just figure if they don't want help that bad.

Many people are not exhibiting any situational awareness or SA.

When leaders are saying it’s not an issue and one should be able to make a career being a bartender, it’s not encouraging people to work smarter.

I have had a number of discussions with my wife about the systemic problem of people not having enough wherewithal - is that we gave our children too much.

hi , i just bought my car a week ago ,its been sitting for 20 years...why wont it start? I want to put in an LS engine and coil overs who makes a kit ?

hi , i just bought my car a week ago ,its been sitting for 20 years...why wont it start? I want to put in an LS engine and coil overs who makes a kit ?
Just look in the FORD service manual. All the info you need is there. OR, I know a good mechanic..........$

The stupid questions could in some way be a good thing.
Those who have never been around cars have no education about the correct questions to ask, what order to ask them in and what answers need to be given in order to understand the questions. My hope is that these poor question askers are the younger generation, logging into an old man site, asking questions, getting answers and making another C body live again. Or, ford, for that matter. Since they don't mention what they are working on.

Honestly, even if they aren't the younger generation with interest and they are old guys it should be a positive that someone, out there , is actually trying to fix their own crap instead of being a strictly consumer citizen.

Another thing, perhaps the poor question askers who have little mechanical skill simply expect that you, being a master of the site, would just look into their profile and find out what car they actually have. That is kinda simple and easy but speaking for myself do not have that much time to spend concerning myself with other peoples issues.

Speaking of that, @Jakter Do you have a C body? Or a Mopar?

Instead of whining about the rare lack of information by someone ,if those claiming they want to help, it's less effort to ask "what vehicle, etc,etc," than the time spent on this thread complaining.

The stupid questions could in some way be a good thing.
I'll say it again, there is no stupid questions and we all aren't born knowing everything. I know I've asked questions that some consider dumb... and I've been on other forums where I asked a question and got "use the search" like I was going out of my way to irritate someone.

Those who have never been around cars have no education about the correct questions to ask, what order to ask them in and what answers need to be given in order to understand the questions.

One of my life lessons was when I found out that there were things that I could and would do that went beyond my knowledge to the point of where I didn't know what questions to ask. I see that with some of the threads here.

Honestly, even if they aren't the younger generation with interest and they are old guys it should be a positive that someone, out there , is actually trying to fix their own crap instead of being a strictly consumer citizen.

Funny you say that... I had lunch with my oldest son yesterday (he's 38) and he was talking about how his friends marvel that he can fix his own car. And he thanked me for passing it on. He's worried his kids might not pick that up, but on the other hand, his oldest daughter (15) has learned how to weld in shop class.

Another thing, perhaps the poor question askers who have little mechanical skill simply expect that you, being a master of the site, would just look into their profile and find out what car they actually have. That is kinda simple and easy but speaking for myself do not have that much time to spend concerning myself with other peoples issues.

That sounds good on the surface, but let's use me as an example. Look at my profile. Do you see a car listed? Nope. I have 3 old cars, 2 are C-bodies. What am I working on today? You won't know unless I tell you.

I don't think it's done on purpose, but it is just a few key strokes for them and to me it shows they are serious and thinking things through.

To answer a posted question, I often double check myself so I don't give bad advice. I might also look for a picture, sometimes adding arrows and circles to illustrate what I think needs to be looked at. Then type it up and post it. That's enough effort on my part to not feel bad about asking for make/model/year.

Attention to detail is something that was driven into me by my parents, employers and real life experiences. Many today lack it. Once again, I think a lot of our societal issues have to do with ‘too much for free’…

A lot of these questions lead to the many ways to skin a cat. And I got a lot of cats in play. So, I play along.
The lack of upfront car info is just part and parcel.

Hi, uh, I got a thing, and the stuff don't work, why does this happen only to me, uh, need help from prohfesananls only pls
HELP

Never seen a thread posted with such a vague request for help.

Perhaps you could post some examples from this forum?

Take your time.

Back