Wiring for automatic trunk?

Ambush

Reaction score
Hey forum friends,

I have my eye on adding a working automatic trunk release to my 1965 Imperial crown, from off a friends '65 Imperial parts car. My question is; Is the wiring in the Imperial pre-plumbed for all accessories, whether one's car has the accessory or not? Like if I pull out the trunk release button in the glovebox, and then pull out the latch release in the trunk ( which is different than a standard latch release ), is that all I'll need? Or will I need to pull out the entire system, wires and all, that connect the whole thing front to back?

Thanks,

Hey forum friends,

I have my eye on adding a working automatic trunk release to my 1965 Imperial crown, from off a friends '65 Imperial parts car. My question is; Is the wiring in the Imperial pre-plumbed for all accessories, whether one's car has the accessory or not? Like if I pull out the trunk release button in the glovebox, and then pull out the latch release in the trunk ( which is different than a standard latch release ), is that all I'll need? Or will I need to pull out the entire system, wires and all, that connect the whole thing front to back?

Thanks,
Depends on what you want...

If it were me, I'd try to grab everything, figuring that the wire might need to be replaced, but that gives me the insulators and the circuit breaker.

That said, it's a pretty simple circuit. One wire from power to the switch and one wire to the latch. Ground is from the body. The FSM shows #16 wire, but that can be larger. You would want to wire some sort of fuse or better yet, a new circuit breaker into the power supply, but they are cheap and available at any parts store.

And before anyone says it.. The Imperial had an electric release, 1965 Chryslers still had the vacuum release.

Not sure if you are interested but here is an option for you if you already have the electric trunk release. My Sport Fury didn't have the electric trunk release so I swapped one from a 1980 St Regis. I didn't use the glove box mounted button. I bought this remote set-up on Ebay and wired it between my trunk release and tapped into the hot wire for the trunk light. With this system, it eliminates the push button in the glove box and or elsewhere with no wiring except in the deck lid. You have the fob on your keychain like the new cars do. IMO, much better than the need to climb in the car to push the button.

12V 15A Momentary contact switch with 2 wireless remote control key fobs RM11 | eBay

Back