‘61 Newport that is new to me- sorting her out and trying to identify some parts….

I know you're the distributor guy, but aren't the cast-iron distributors different?
My 65 413's dual-point takes a different cap like this one. I presumed it to be the correct/original item.
I tried a later 'standard' cap and it does not fit, the clocking tab on the dizzy does not fit the notch on the later cap.

???
1724364217830.png
1724364455153.png

Thats the prestolite style. The others have a notch in them for a tab on the vac advance to fit into.

1724412396989.png

But that's what I'm saying, there's overlap of the Prestolite and Chrysler caps in the 62-78 period.
It is unlikely a store would hand you the wrong cap for most folks, but when they inevitably ask the OP for the year of car, 1961 might cause that to happen.

Yes it is a crap shoot at te parts store looking it up. Early 6 cyln caps there are two. No idea why.

all 62-78 points/electronic cap and rotor fits. Make sure when you get the rotor it slides on the shaft if it is tight, you got a newer one. Lot of that going on. That is a Mopar electronic dist 72 and up uses a ECU also.
Looks like I need to take a look at the associated wiring and see what coil is installed- this is essentially an HEI system, then? Not familiar (yet) with the Chrysler ignition systems....

Not HEI just a electronic ignition probably, but should be a points system from the factory. Post a pic of the distributor with the cap off downward.

Not HEI just a electronic ignition probably, but should be a points system from the factory. Post a pic of the distributor with the cap off downward.
He did in post #35, it's a standard Chrysler electronic with vacuum advance. That's why I was wanting you to clarify the 'all 62-89' comment on the dizzy caps.

The caps are all the same till 62-78 except dual points. and some canadian ones

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I’ve been very busy with work and the Newport as well. I ran into a lot of snags, but have worked most of them out. I’ll post a new, longer update with pics soon.

I’m going to be rebuilding the original power steering pump today - what are you guys using for fluid in the power steering system?

Some updates:

Driveshaft woes solved with this modified driveshaft- they were able to use my original shaft to build it…
81F42F5C-9B1B-4D2D-8CB6-F4B6B0B22C04.jpeg

The brake pedal assembly, as removed- pedal had been twisted for more floor clearance, and it had a ratio of about 7.3 to 1…… Not good with my setup… I don’t have a pic yet of the pedal after I modified it, but will get one. Ratio is around 5 to 1 now and I straightened the pedal pad out- the brake system is working fabulously- plenty of travel available and brake effort feels just right. I’ll get a pic of the new pedal for next post.
EDBB3D81-3E26-45B7-9409-A131487F03BB.jpeg

Ugh- this what I pulled out of the car- this pedal was a real mess and it went all the way to the floor before the brakes were engaging fully…I wonder how long it was driven like this?
F67A86E7-132A-485A-89A6-1C58B247122D.jpeg

Lastly, I’ll post later about my parking brake battles- had one parking drum turned and they ruined it. Found another, but am not going to let it out of my hands until I find someone who knows what they are doing and has done one of these before…

Has anyone found a machine shop who could true one of these with their equipment?
FD635E88-66F8-40E7-8D82-C4166EB1DCA3.jpeg

D3A8B8FF-EE75-4E02-B08D-C67E588F4C37.jpeg

Last edited:
No reason to turn or true up a parking brake drum.
Hit the rust with some emery cloth and call it good.
Surface rust will occur on it as you know it does not act as a brake drum.

No reason to turn or true up a parking brake drum.
Hit the rust with some emery cloth and call it good.
Surface rust will occur on it as you know it does not act as a brake drum.
Thanks…I was guessing that a little roughness might work in my favor as far as getting more friction.

What do you use in your power steering pump? I have been told not to use ATF, but have no idea if that is true. The pump is going back I. Today and I still don’t know what to use….!

Thanks,

Dave

PS fluid is for steering, ATF is for transmissions.
ATF has friction additives for clutches, which steering does not have.
Yes, ATF can be a get-by fluid for a leaker, but if putting new parts in, use the correct fluid.

Thanks…I was guessing that a little roughness might work in my favor as far as getting more friction.

What do you use in your power steering pump? I have been told not to use ATF, but have no idea if that is true. The pump is going back I. Today and I still don’t know what to use….!

Thanks,

Dave
A little roughness won't hurt the parking brake function.

I mistakenly thought the reason you wanted the drum turned was to clean up the rust.

I've used nothing but PS fluid in any Forward Looks I've owned as that is what the FSM called for, nothing more than auto parts store brand PS fluid.

I would verify what the FSM for your vehicle says.

The FSM gives a Mopar part number for a mineral oil based fluid. I went to the local auto parts store and picked up a few quarts of power steering fluid- used one quart to flush some of the old stuff out of the steering box. Pump is working great now.

Thanks fellows!

Last edited:
Back