1958 Plymouth Fury

So how many 1958 2-door hardtops were destroyed in making Christine?

"It is believed that 25 1958 Plymouth two-door hardtops were required to create the magic of “Christine” getting wrecked and rebuilt on the big screen. 17 of those Plymouths were completely destroyed, six were used for parts and just two are said to remain."
Original ‘Christine' '58 Plymouth Fury to cross Mecum block Friday.

Was it worth it to destroy all those cars? Not to me. I thought the book was so bad that I got half way thru, ripped it in half. and threw it away. As to the movie, I don't think I got even half way thru before turning off the TV.
Was it worth it to destroy these cars in the movie? We’ll on the surface absolutely not but if we look at it another way, I believe the movie and book with its large cult following and fans for all things Christine saved a lot of remaining 57/58 plymouths today. It restored interest in the long lost forgotten forwardlook plymouths. I mean lets face it as much as we all love our forward look 57/58 plymouths these cars were not as popular and celebrated in the mainstream like the more famous/ pop culture 1957 Chevy Belair and other cars like it. This is also why Stephen King chose the 58 plymouth so I read somewhere.

Was it worth it to destroy these cars in the movie? We’ll on the surface absolutely not but if we look at it another way, I believe the movie and book with its large cult following and fans for all things Christine saved a lot of remaining 57/58 plymouths today. It restored interest in the long lost forgotten forwardlook plymouths. I mean lets face it as much as we all love our forward look 57/58 plymouths these cars were not as popular and celebrated in the mainstream like the more famous/ pop culture 1957 Chevy Belair and other cars like it. This is also why Stephen King chose the 58 plymouth so I read somewhere.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think 1957-8 Plymouths would have become popular anyway.
Then there's the question: was it worth it for the Dukes of Hazard to destroy all those Dodge Chargers? For me, the best thing about the show was Daisy Duke's body, not the Charger body. I think the Chargers would have become popular anyway, along with all the other A,B,E bodies from that time frame.
1645577861018.png

Also good from behind
1645577969172.png

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think 1957-8 Plymouths would have become popular anyway.
Then there's the question: was it worth it for the Dukes of Hazard to destroy all those Dodge Chargers? For me, the best thing about the show was Daisy Duke's body, not the Charger body. I think the Chargers would have become popular anyway, along with all the other A,B,E bodies from that time frame.
View attachment 516704
Also good from behind
View attachment 516706
That’s fair, we can agree to disagree of course. The 57-8 Plymouths were ahead of their time, they had the best styling when they came out and surprised the industry especially GM having to redo their designs for 58-59 after seeing the new forward look plymouths. My point is at least where I live I rarely see forward look finned mopars at car shows especially 57-8 plymouths. I usually see a sea of tri-five chevys, fords, corvettes, mustangs, Camaros, chargers, road runners, cudas, and such all day long and these are great cars but where are the finned plymouths? Finned mopars? Popular ? Maybe maybe not. I’m their biggest fan believe me but just not seeing them around unfortunately. Nice pics of Daisy duke by the way :)

I've had mine since 1964. Before the movie came out most people didn't even know what a 57/58 Plymouth looked like. There were always a few who liked and owned one (like me) but most people could care less. As far as drivers and parts cars go, they were cheap as were the parts. Since the movie became popular quite a few people want a "Christine". The story I read about the making of the film said that they used a lot of 4 door sedans as well as the two door hardtops.

We can always agree to disagree.

I have to say that I like Stephen King overall. By contrast to my low opinion of Christine, both the book and the movie. I like the book, The Stand. I like both book and move, Pet Cemetery. But my favorite

The Shining: book excellent, movie spectacular!

Here's Johnny!
View attachment 516189
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.....
View attachment 516190

And just as "Christine" fueled the craze for '58 Plymouths, the Shining did its part for promoting snow cats, lol.

1725908041978.png

Back