1964 Tourqueflite 727 Fluid Leak

furyfever

Reaction score
Have been trying for a long time now to fix the leaks in my transmission. It’s a 1964 727…in a 58 Plymouth. Replaced kickdown shaft seal already now the push button shift cable is leaking at the adjustment dial. Cable itself looks fine but there must be a seal between that adjustment dial and the transmission housing. Any body ever done this? Is it an o-ring? Can it be done without draining fluid? I’ve drained fluid way too many times already. Thanks, Bob

Have been trying for a long time now to fix the leaks in my transmission. It’s a 1964 727…in a 58 Plymouth. Replaced kickdown shaft seal already now the push button shift cable is leaking at the adjustment dial. Cable itself looks fine but there must be a seal between that adjustment dial and the transmission housing. Any body ever done this? Is it an o-ring? Can it be done without draining fluid? I’ve drained fluid way too many times already. Thanks, Bob
Hey Bob, I have on my 64 NY and it's an o ring. I would suggest using a white marker to mark where the adjustment wheel is currently set, pull it out, some fluid will leak out, but most will be in the pan, replace the o ring and you should be all set.

Thank you…I was able to do this but I wound up dropping pan. I couldn’t figure out where to push on spring clip that holds end of cable in. Once I had pan off it was no problem. O-ring is .7” thick and 1” in diameter. Actually had one on hand. Once replaced no more leak.

Back