For Sale 1965 4spd new yorker wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, too bad - as someone else noted, it looks like the engine was in place when the photos were taken. If so and the story is true, it sucks that he tore it up to 'git a Hemi'. Still a neat car, but I wouldn't pay even half that without a good running engine & tranny installed.

This would be a great curiosity piece, especially with an invoice for the install... gutting the car kills all of that... stake this guy to the nearest anthill.

Yep, I'd LOVE to see the invoice for the swap. I saw something along these lines at an auction about 10 years ago - 66 Satellite (if memory serves) bought in Western NC as a Hemi 4 speed car. It was upgraded to race Hemi specs, got suspension upgrades to support extra weight in the rear, and huge gears (4.56 or thereabouts) prior to delivery. Sounds like a great story, almost too great to believe, but all the original dealership receipts were included. Why a moonshiner wanted to retain the evidence of what he was doing is hard to fathom, but it's hard to dispute a stack of old receipts in a notebook that prove the history of the car. This is such a rare bird that absent the documentation I would even question the story. Just another doubting Thomas, I guess....

I have a feeling this is a combo car 300/New Yorker? If there was a build sheet? Maybe? Story seems very big. Still fun!

Nah no 4 speed in New Yorkers. Newport or 300, 880, polara,fury only. Could get it in a Newport or 880 wagon though!Don't think 4 speed has ever been offered in New Yorker or IMP. your 76 was the only one I ever heard of till this. He's got a Sport Fury/300 console lid. They are the hard to find ones.
That's why I would love to hear the story. Orig owner must have been filthy rich!

The whole thing sure seems odd...

Engine swap in 1966 the first year the Hemi was available to the public. A super ultra rare 4 speed wagon....

The only thing I've seen so far was possibly the top of the Hemi chrome air cleaner assembly....

That,s a normal 300 grille , not a 300 sport front grille............:silent:

In '65 there were two 300s, the L and what had been called the Sport. In other words, that's not a 300 L grill, nor is it a New Yorker grill. Therefore....

Never heard of a 1965 300 sport!! ( i owned a 65 300 2dr non lettercar in the past )
You also could buy a 65 300 4 dr hrdtp or sdn , not a sports car in my eyes.

There are 2 types 300,s ; the standard 300 and the 300 lettercar.

Guys, you are assuming that there was a HEMI in this car, when I'd bet big that the car had an 18-spline Hemi four-speed transmission installed behind that original 383 or 413. First off, the HEMI in '65 was a race-engine only! Not a street car engine, and certainly NOT in a big Chrysler wagon! Even as a dealer install, I doubt very, very seriously that this car ever had a Hemi in it at any time in its' life!!! Let's think logically here...a full-sized wagon, with dual air conditioning, would be a weird thing with a four-speed alone. Does anyone really think for a moment that this car had a Hemi in it, at any point in its' life???

Patrick, no one assumed it was a Hemi from the factory.
If they did, they dont know their C-bodies yet.
I just want to know if it was originally a 4spd wagon.

I know that. A four-speed that was dealer-installed would be believable. But from some of the responses, people are thinking this had a dealer-added Hemi. I can not see that in 1965, and especially for a full-sized Chrysler wagon!

From the ad description

Car was converted to a 426 Hemi 4-Speed at the dealership in 1966. The Hemi is now gone.

Sounds to me that the implication is there that the hemi and 4spd were installed and the 426 is now gone.

I see an engine in that car and that looks like a Hemi air bonnet

That air cleaner would also fit a 383 or a 413 with a dual-quad intake and carbs.

I missed the "installed in 1966" part. But, still, really? You have a wagon, loaded out that sold for close to $6,000 new in '65. Does anyone think that an owner would have an engine and trans installed in this a year later for an additional $4K - $5K, back then? I find the whole story pretty incredulous.

Guys, you are assuming that there was a HEMI in this car, when I'd bet big that the car had an 18-spline Hemi four-speed transmission installed behind that original 383 or 413. First off, the HEMI in '65 was a race-engine only! Not a street car engine, and certainly NOT in a big Chrysler wagon! Even as a dealer install, I doubt very, very seriously that this car ever had a Hemi in it at any time in its' life!!! Let's think logically here...a full-sized wagon, with dual air conditioning, would be a weird thing with a four-speed alone. Does anyone really think for a moment that this car had a Hemi in it, at any point in its' life???

NO 383 engine for the 65 new yorker , they only had the 413.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back