1966 Newport power steering pump snub stopper replacement

newport_66

Reaction score
My pump has excessive play in it (see video)

My understanding is the pump has little rubber stoppers that keep the pump from wobbling when turning.

I've bought a couple off ebay they're small. Can't figure out where they go and TBH if I took the pump off it probably wouldn't help me figure it out either.

Can someone give me guidance on how to remove the pump + install the snub stoppers?

FWIW, a popular alternative is to scrap the wobbly bracket and replace it with a 'TRW-style' pivot bracket. No rubber bumper to wear out; can be had for ~50-60 bucks, set it and forget it

20220327_075504.jpg

The looseness you see is probably due to wear in the pivot areas of the pump brackets. As in holes which have become elongated a bit.

To me, the beauty of that bracketry's basic design is that it still leans into the load even sitting cock-eyed and crooked. Still works as designed.

Because of this design, the pump belt should NOT be as tight as a non-pivot bracket belt!!! That is what tends to wear things out sooner, by observation. With the lesser belt tension and the wider belt, belt life skyrockets significantly. A side benefit. Plus, not much belt squeal at all, unlike the solid-mount systems (as on GM cars of the era).

In our modern era, perhaps there is some sort of bushing material that could be installed at the pivot point? Like a bronze/OilLite door hinge pin bushing material, but sized for the larger bolt in the pump bracket.

DO install the bumpers, though.

CBODY67

The looseness you see is probably due to wear in the pivot areas of the pump brackets. As in holes which have become elongated a bit.

To me, the beauty of that bracketry's basic design is that it still leans into the load even sitting cock-eyed and crooked. Still works as designed.

Because of this design, the pump belt should NOT be as tight as a non-pivot bracket belt!!! That is what tends to wear things out sooner, by observation. With the lesser belt tension and the wider belt, belt life skyrockets significantly. A side benefit. Plus, not much belt squeal at all, unlike the solid-mount systems (as on GM cars of the era).

In our modern era, perhaps there is some sort of bushing material that could be installed at the pivot point? Like a bronze/OilLite door hinge pin bushing material, but sized for the larger bolt in the pump bracket.

DO install the bumpers, though.

CBODY67
I suspect that you could get a bronze bushing to insert in the holes.

For those who did not understand or appreciate the Chrysler design (as it was different from what Ford and GM used!), it is possible to weld-up the existing bracket solid. Which is what was done "back then".

Considering how the aged the belt on our '66 Newport is, it is more "set and forget" than the solid-mount bracket. I know it looks "different" to see a loose power steering belt, but when you consider the pump leans into the load, it makes perfect sense AND very significantly lengthened belt life.

In one respect, that power steering pump bracket is similar to a LOT of things Chrysler did back then, but people didn't understand as it was "different" than what others did. Just like Chrysler products, Ford, GM, and others were "cars", but each was designed by their unique chief engineers and each had their own quirks and such that gave them the "character" which modern vehicles seem to not have, or which has been so muted that you have to really look for it. There MIGHT have been many similarities, BUT they all "fixed" differently. Those were the "fun days"! When many GM engines had "50K mile spark plugs", because they were so hard to get to, etc.

With any solid power steering pump bracket, if the just squeals once, people usually try to tighten it so it does not squeal anymore . . . which can be a loosing battle. Not to mention the increased load on the bushings/bearings in the water pump and front crank main bearing.

Y'all enjoy, now, Ya Hear!
CBODY67

Back