1968 - door panel trim clips sources

saylor

Reaction score
hey people!

ive decided I'm not giving some dude $250 per panel to make new door panels , I'm going the cheap bastard route and doing it myself.

so I took off the door panel and the rear interior quarter panel, and find that they have different clips. (Fig. 1)
20170206_184120.jpg

so on fleabae I see the wire clips, but the only of the 'other' clips I see say GM and also show a plug that goes on the other end, a male female kind of thing. are those these? anyone know where to get some of these? just get the 'GM' marked ones they are the same?

So did Fastenal have inventory you could just match up? Unfortunately, I don't think there is a better alternative. I have my Au-ve-co catalog out and at nearly 800 pages... they still don't give dimensions for these items. A body shop would have had an assortment to pick from, so even the stuff on there could be different if it was ever repaired.

As to cross referencing the factory numbers they provide... nada... but I am the guy looking up Formals... why would I expect anything to work by part number?

thanks for trying to look those up . .. i guess ill just buy em and then we will know :/

cantflip can you or anyone else please confirm that there are 2 different trim clips in use and that my example is not a rigged up job? meaning , yes the factory did use 2 different clip styles for the interior door panel and the interior quarter panel ? can anyone confirm that ?

thanks all -

- saylor

thanks for trying to look those up . .. i guess ill just buy em and then we will know :/

cantflip can you or anyone else please confirm that there are 2 different trim clips in use and that my example is not a rigged up job? meaning , yes the factory did use 2 different clip styles for the interior door panel and the interior quarter panel ? can anyone confirm that ?

thanks all -

- saylor
I've never seen both styles used on the same car, except where the panels have been off and messed with.

Having done door panels myself, I suggest you just use the wire style only. The panel will clip/unclip much easier and the clips are much easier to deal with in general.

If this helps you any: Door Panel repair

FWIW, all of my '67 Newps have the same wire clip front and back, 2drs and 4drs.

Hope the input helps.

John

awesome I guess I got to pull all 4 panels off and see whats doin. thanks guys. also thanks for relinking the panel restore you did big john, I went and reread it again just for good measure.

I'm not going original material and the ones I have are too far gone to save I think so its gonna be plain jane. I'm going to try ABS sheet and not fiberboard. we will see how it goes. I'm waiting on the sheets now. thanks again for the help bros.

- saylor

awesome I guess I got to pull all 4 panels off and see whats doin. thanks guys. also thanks for relinking the panel restore you did big john, I went and reread it again just for good measure.

I'm not going original material and the ones I have are too far gone to save I think so its gonna be plain jane. I'm going to try ABS sheet and not fiberboard. we will see how it goes. I'm waiting on the sheets now. thanks again for the help bros.

- saylor
Pictures please! Door panels were a PITA new... I'd like to see your solution.

Sorry, but I am useless to you... I spent a nice little chunk of time digging every Imperial clip number I could find from 1974 and running them against all the part searches I could find... I never matched a single one.

In the shop, this would have been a whatever works moment.

Try clips and fasteners, fastenal and carpak... match what you think you want from a crummy picture, without dimensions... not user friendly.

- saylor
I made some for my 53 Windsor from hardboard. I considered doing them with ABS, but I didn't have a good source and I wanted to get it done.

Starts at post #34. 1953 Windsor

Here's some links that might help. Technical - INTERIOR, Making door panels
How to recover a car door panel. Auto upholstery tips.
TECH new boards for old door panels

I made some for my 53 Windsor from hardboard. I considered doing them with ABS, but I didn't have a good source and I wanted to get it done.

Starts at post #34. 1953 Windsor

Here's some links that might help. Technical - INTERIOR, Making door panels
How to recover a car door panel. Auto upholstery tips.
TECH new boards for old door panels
Big John to the rescue... I like the many links you provided here. I have a fair variety of plastic clips, but most are metric. I want a variety of wire clips, it sucks when you don't have what you need when stuff is apart.

aight, welp, after pulling all 4 panels out, im pretty confident that the original panels were built using 2 different style of clips, as seen earlier. i would suspect even that the fronts and rears panels were made by 2 different suppliers.

heres a teaser of where we are headed i hope:
20170213_055348.jpg

well, I got more time to hack on this. and a major change has happened. I'm going Velcro and not clips to attach the panels back into the car. welcome to the new century, mr. Plymouth.

then laid the cardboard onto the ABS plastic sheet and traced the outline.

20170212_144643.jpg

I had 2 ABS sheets together so both L and R side would be the same cut.
20170211_180022.jpg

Last edited:
I tried this for the toothy peg cardboard holder things.. it didn't work out so well for me. hard to make all those line up when you are eyeballin everything.
20170211_201730.jpg

Back