1968 Newport 383/727 Trans lines

MBar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Started with noisy water pump. Easier when radiator removed but the line on the driver side has been a bit kinked. It got worse when I removed it this time and I am concerned it is too restrictive but not sure. Anyway I want to play it safe and I don't have a lot of space to work on the car so the most simple sane way is what I want. Considering cutting the line where it is straight and finishing the run to the radiator with stainless braided... thoughts?

IMG_20180911_202922619[1].jpg

You wouldn't be the first to do that, but please do make sure the line you install is rated for transmission fluid. Seen a lot fixed that way over the years with vacuum hose or fuel line and they all leak fairly soon after install.

You wouldn't be the first to do that, but please do make sure the line you install is rated for transmission fluid. Seen a lot fixed that way over the years with vacuum hose or fuel line and they all leak fairly soon after install.
thanks! what parts do you recommend? Made a trip to OReilly and not a lot of choices. Dont think I want to add an external cooler unless it's a great idea

They should have rubber hose rated for atf but you'll likely have to ask.

You might be able to get a prebent line from Fine Lines or a similar company, I'm drawing a blank right now on the other companies name.
That would be the correct fix assuming he can't bend up a replacement himself - although it is a serious pain in the butt to do so.

I just want to finish the water pump job and get the car back on the road... do you guys think it is too kinked to be driven? I will take care of this later... that way I'll have more time for proper research and parts gathering.
Also, what is the best way to put a trans temp gauge on this car? I do want a full set of gauges sometime soon. Idiot lights scare me, so suggestions / pics would be nice

You can also buy a pre-made length of 5/16" steel line with flares at your local parts store. Get the longest. Also get two 5/16" compression unions.

Cut the tube in half. Use the nuts from the old lines. Form them to shape of the damaged lines and connect the new lines to the old lines.

You can also buy a pre-made length of 5/16" steel line with flares at your local parts store. Get the longest. Also get two 5/16" compression unions.

Cut the tube in half. Use the nuts from the old lines. Form them to shape of the damaged lines and connect the new lines to the old lines.
OMG... I had bought some stuff but it was wrong and I was stressing about where to get the nuts.... sheesh John, reuse the old ones! Talk about a brain lapse..thank you for that.. now, it kinda looks like 1/4 inch tube....you sure about the 5/16?

OMG... I had bought some stuff but it was wrong and I was stressing about where to get the nuts.... sheesh John, reuse the old ones! Talk about a brain lapse..thank you for that.. now, it kinda looks like 1/4 inch tube....you sure about the 5/16?
All Chrysler trans. cooler lines are 5/16.

Yes, 5/16"

We replaced a bit of ours with a hose but will eventually use a 5/15 steel tube. Replaced rad last year but trans cooling outlet did not line up with org line.

Back