1968 Polara Center Link

GMPolara

Reaction score
I'm preparing to pull my oil pan off and replace the pan gasket and oil pump. In order to do that I'll need to pull the steering linkage down. However, in researching potential replacement parts, I've found that there aren't any center links available. Does anyone know where I can find one? I'm working on a 68 Polara 4dr with a 383 2bl. Also, it has drum brakes only. Thx!

All you need to do is unbolt the idler arm and that will drop the center link. Unless you center link is bent or broken, there is no need to replace it to service the pan gasket.

Dave

All you need to do is unbolt the idler arm and that will drop the center link. Unless you center link is bent or broken, there is no need to replace it to service the pan gasket.

Dave

I had to pop the center link off at the pitman arm as well to replace the oil pan, but that was on a big block- a smallblock you may be able to get away with not having to do it. Agree though, unless it's bent there really isn't a reason to replace it, all of the wear items attach to it (inner tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm).

I'm going to echo what these guys have already said. If it's not bent or damaged, no need to replace the center link. It's a non-wear item.

I got the rack out tonight. Now I see what you mean. The center link has no ball joints. They're all on the idler arm, Pitman arm... Thanks all!

I usually pull the pitman arm off the steering box, and as Dave said, unbolt the idler from the frame. Then you're not beating up the pivot joints to get them separated. You can push the whole deal forward as the front wheels turn out.

Jeff

Back