1969 power steering gear color

david hill

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am presently rebuilding my power steering gear. While cleaning it I noticed there was very little paint color present. What is the color of the gear when new. Some of the steering linkage I know were in various finishes. What about the steering gear. Thanks in advance.

Best I could tell on mine it was natural cast iron, I looked to see if it was ever painted but didn't see anything, but I have no idea the history of what may have been done to it. I painted mine with Eastwood exhaust manifold paint.

Alan

Best I could tell on mine it was natural cast iron, I looked to see if it was ever painted but didn't see anything, but I have no idea the history of what may have been done to it. I painted mine with Eastwood exhaust manifold paint.

Alan
Thanks Alan, I had considered that. The return line nipple and the pressure relief valve cap were found unpainted. You're findings confirm what I considered initially. Thank you

David, natural iron parts look pretty good when covered in graphite stove polish. It can be had at Menards here in town in the fireplace section.

Here is the final product. I chose Rust-oleum Color Universal Advanced Formula Flat Soft Iron. I liked the low gloss color. Check the pics.

20220114_164852.jpg

20220114_164912.jpg

20220114_164921.jpg

Question for you steering guys. I'm trying to adjust my 1969 300 and the fsm says loosen screw until backlash is felt. In this case, what does backlash mean? It also says loosen screw but I'm having to run the engine, then turn steering wheel end to end to get a 1/2 turn. Then turn wheel back and forth to get another 1/2 turn etc.
Either I'm not understanding or maybe someone before me over tightened this gear and probably killed it.

Question for you steering guys. I'm trying to adjust my 1969 300 and the fsm says loosen screw until backlash is felt. In this case, what does backlash mean? It also says loosen screw but I'm having to run the engine, then turn steering wheel end to end to get a 1/2 turn. Then turn wheel back and forth to get another 1/2 turn etc.
Either I'm not understanding or maybe someone before me over tightened this gear and probably killed it.
PS. I've turned at least 1.5 turns out on screw but still no backlash. Just trying to find reason for excessive play in steering wheel. Thanks

Back