1970 Fury GT found in Amarillo, TX.

Cool video. Wish I had thought of something like that when I went to pick up mine. Although mine would have been much shorter seeing as the transmission went out 60 miles into my trip. I am planning on driving my Sport Fury to LA in early February if you're interested in meeting up.

Would love to meet up. I hope my car will be on the road again by that time. Maybe we can hit up a the Bob's Big Boy car show or something depending on what day you're in town exactly.

Would love to meet up. I hope my car will be on the road again by that time. Maybe we can hit up a the Bob's Big Boy car show or something depending on what day you're in town exactly.
Cool. I'll shoot you a PM with the details. It'll be a quick weekend trip but hopefully we can plan accordingly.

Great video, and a gorgeous car. Looks like you had a fun time on the way home. Hope you had a chance to eat at the "Big Texan Steakhouse" in Amarillo.

Great trip! How many tires did you need to buy? :lol:

I blew out two along the way, but ended up buying four to make sure I didn't any more issues in the middle of nowhere. Wish I wasn't stuck buying tires in a style and size I didn't want, but I had no choice.

What log have I been hiding under, to miss this one? Eric, welcome to the site, as you said, we have some very knowledgeable folks to help you out. What a way to make an entrance! Getting a sweet ride and setting your giant pair of balls next to on that bench seat and heading west over 1,000 miles in an untested car that had been sitting for a few years? That's nuts! It looked like a good time and you seemed to deal with the slight troubles like it was no big deal. I'd be paranoid to drive that far in something I just got. It's a very nice car and I look forward to seeing you bring this one back to it's former glory.

What log have I been hiding under, to miss this one? Eric, welcome to the site, as you said, we have some very knowledgeable folks to help you out. What a way to make an entrance! Getting a sweet ride and setting your giant pair of balls next to on that bench seat and heading west over 1,000 miles in an untested car that had been sitting for a few years? That's nuts! It looked like a good time and you seemed to deal with the slight troubles like it was no big deal. I'd be paranoid to drive that far in something I just got. It's a very nice car and I look forward to seeing you bring this one back to it's former glory.

Thanks for the welcome! Oh, believe me I was nervous as hell the whole time. At one point in the middle of the desert I had a moment of panic when I realized just how screwed I’d be if the car gave up on me at that moment. I started frantically calling friends and family to let them know where I was exactly. Luckily it was just my nerves and the GT performed better than I had even imagined it would. Such a great car! Not going to ever let this one go unless a six pack car fell into my lap.

Thanks for the welcome! Oh, believe me I was nervous as hell the whole time. At one point in the middle of the desert I had a moment of panic when I realized just how screwed I’d be if the car gave up on me at that moment. I started frantically calling friends and family to let them know where I was exactly. Luckily it was just my nerves and the GT performed better than I had even imagined it would. Such a great car! Not going to ever let this one go unless a six pack car fell into my lap.
Definitely start a restoration thread when you start tearing into this one.

Congratulations, Eric. I got a kick out of your comment about having an "oh, crap" moment in the desert. In mid-November of 1989 I bought a Superbird in southern Kentucky, just a couple miles north of the state line on I-75 north of Knoxville. I had planned to drive it home to Riverside because it had taken all of my money to buy it and I am cheap. I left KY about 10:00am and started down I-40. All was great until I stopped for gas the first time and it wouldn't start again. WTF? Central TN with a Superbird that won't start and nobody to call for help. I finally got it going after about an hour and a couple guys stopping to help. From then on I could never shut it off again, as I wouldn't be able to restart it. I drove it all the way to Dallas, arriving in the wee hours of the morning. I couldn't stop to eat or use the bathroom as I couldn't leave it running. It turned out the points were sticking, but I chickened out as I was afraid something else would happen out in west TX with nobody around. I have friends in Dallas so I stayed with them, arranged to have the car transported, and then hopped on Southwest to get back home. I know exactly what you mean, but it does make for a great story!

Congratulations, Eric. I got a kick out of your comment about having an "oh, crap" moment in the desert. In mid-November of 1989 I bought a Superbird in southern Kentucky, just a couple miles north of the state line on I-75 north of Knoxville. I had planned to drive it home to Riverside because it had taken all of my money to buy it and I am cheap. I left KY about 10:00am and started down I-40. All was great until I stopped for gas the first time and it wouldn't start again. WTF? Central TN with a Superbird that won't start and nobody to call for help. I finally got it going after about an hour and a couple guys stopping to help. From then on I could never shut it off again, as I wouldn't be able to restart it. I drove it all the way to Dallas, arriving in the wee hours of the morning. I couldn't stop to eat or use the bathroom as I couldn't leave it running. It turned out the points were sticking, but I chickened out as I was afraid something else would happen out in west TX with nobody around. I have friends in Dallas so I stayed with them, arranged to have the car transported, and then hopped on Southwest to get back home. I know exactly what you mean, but it does make for a great story!
I Bet you were getting some interesting looks.

Once a GT lost its stripes due to damage or a repaint..... it became just another fury.. this is why i feel there is so few GT's around anymore... and many more UNKNOWN'S IN HIDING as just another fury..!

I Bet you were getting some interesting looks.
Yes, and a couple offers to buy it, just hours after I bought it after looking for one I could afford all over the country for 13+ years. It was a great experience, but a bit nerve wracking. I spent about $900 to have it transported from Dallas to my mother's house in Riverside and it was delivered on Thanksgiving morning. I salute Eric for doing it in his Sport Fury GT as these are the stories that make these cars so cool. My brother and I drove my 68 Sport Fury convertible home to California from Detroit in June of 2004 (see, I am still cheap!), but it was an uneventful trip. The only excitement was getting pulled over in eastern Colorado by a State Trooper who was also a Mopar nut and wanted to check it out. He apologized right up front and explained we hadn't done anything wrong (which we knew, we had just passed him at a whopping 60mph), he just wanted to see the car up close and hoped we would understand. We had a nice chat and he was very knowledgeable, so he was telling the truth about being a Mopar nut.

Yes, and a couple offers to buy it, just hours after I bought it after looking for one I could afford all over the country for 13+ years. It was a great experience, but a bit nerve wracking. I spent about $900 to have it transported from Dallas to my mother's house in Riverside and it was delivered on Thanksgiving morning. I salute Eric for doing it in his Sport Fury GT as these are the stories that make these cars so cool. My brother and I drove my 68 Sport Fury convertible home to California from Detroit in June of 2004 (see, I am still cheap!), but it was an uneventful trip. The only excitement was getting pulled over in eastern Colorado by a State Trooper who was also a Mopar nut and wanted to check it out. He apologized right up front and explained we hadn't done anything wrong (which we knew, we had just passed him at a whopping 60mph), he just wanted to see the car up close and hoped we would understand. We had a nice chat and he was very knowledgeable, so he was telling the truth about being a Mopar nut.
Your car didn't look like this did it?
82a679e6807400c2f70ae4ae445a5a15.jpg

Pics or didn't happen :poke:

Mine was the same color (FY1 Lemon Twist) but it was in good original condition with 72,000 original miles on it. I put another 1,000 on it the first day I owned it driving it to Dallas (Flower Mound, actually). It was a 440 4bbl with the auto on the console. It ran flawlessly once I changed the points, and I kept it for 21 years adding 26,000 miles with no problems other than the timing chain one night in October of 1993. I didn't take any pictures of it on the original trip as this was long before the era of cell phones (November of 1989) but I did take pictures of it when it was delivered to me on Thanksgiving Day 1989.

Thanksgiving 1989 - 1.jpg

Thanksgiving 1989 - 2.jpg

Here is a picture of the same car almost exactly 20 years later on a cruise with some of my Mopar buddies in the California Gold Country, now with my 3
sons in the picture with me. Still just in nice original condition.
Superbird With Boys 2010.jpg

I finally put a video together from my trip out to Amarillo and back to Los Angeles. Enjoy...

You lucky duck! When I picked up my 1970 Sport Suburban from Montana I did pretty much like you did, flew in and drove from Bozeman, Montana to Portland, Oregon the VERY first time I drove the car! Fixing things like headlights, marker lights and transmission lockdown adjustment along the way. Great video man and a beautiful car and even better story!

Back