1971-73 Imperial Sure Brake by Bendix

The_Eagles’_Nest

Reaction score
So I pulled the ultra rare B64 Anti-Skid brakes from an Imperial that is doomed to the derby. So a system component overview is:

LF Modulator
RF Modulator
Rear Modulator
4 Wheel Speed Sensors
Hard Brake Lines
Rotors w tone rings
Rear Tone rings
Forward Harness
Body Harness
Dash Harness
Logic Controller
Vacuum Lines
Intake Manifold Fitting

Carry over parts
Brake Booster
Master Cylinder
Front splash shields
Rear backing plates
Brake Drums
Brake Hoses

I will be getting the parts ready to install on my 73 Imperial. It will eventually get restored but for now it will be a mock-up.

IMG_1715.jpeg

NIce! I'm glad someone picked up this stuff and even better that you are planning on using it.
Thanks for posting a picture of the parts that were involved in the B64 system.
Please continue with posting pics of the parts once you have cleaned up each piece.
Curious as to the actual differences in items like the brake lines etc.

Only one rear modulator?

All literature and articles mentioned, as I recall, that EACH of the wheels could have specific modulation, not the rear wheels together. AND, what made the unit very special was that it had TWO decel rates, rather than just cycling between "on" and "off" at the wheel. Ford and GM, initially, used systems that were only on the rear wheels and cycled between "on" and "off", which some road testers demonstrated by doing a max-effort stop on loose gravel, where the rear wheels would be locked and the fronts would not be, as the truck continued to slide on the gravel.

Anyway, the system was WAY before it's time (like lots of Chrysler engineering-related items were back then!) and to a much higher degree of execution than Ford of GM wanted to get to at that time. Even in later model years, GM used a tone ring on the pinion gear shaft on some pickup truck rear axles for the rear brakes.

CONGRATS on getting these things!
CBODY67

Yes. One rear modulator. The rear wheels have individual speed sensors but the rear wheel brakes are controlled together. It is a 3-channel system.

The factory literature I have seen says that this is correct. I have checked the service manual, TSB, and the parts catalog for what the system is made of.

The system uses a vacuum fitting and two inline tees on 1/2” PCV hose that comes out of the front of the intake manifold. If you ever wondered what the pipe plug on the front of the 440 intake on the #1 runner was that is where the Sure-Brake is connected.

IMG_2869.jpeg

Thanks for posting. I've always wondered what the components looked like. Just curious- where was the rear modulator mounted? Those things are massive!

Back