1971 Plymouth Sport Fury GT Brogham & U code Super Comando

Welp customs fined me $704.10 us...about 1k can funds...guess it's better than the 20k they wanted....what a fu......ing pain
I'm lost, who fined you, was it US Customs or was it that dumb-*** broker you hired to drag the car down last year?

when l asked the dumb *** broker if l hada do anything if the car stayed longer than a year he said no...customs disagreed and levied a 14,000 $ US fine (20,000 Can) against me last dec when the car was down there longer than a year...took me 2 weeks to sort it all out and customs said they would mitigate the fine to a lower level once car was exported back into canada....feel like l was dealing with a 3rd world country and bribes are customary.....

I don't know, none of this makes any sense, you took a Canadian registered 40 plus year old pile of parts to a craftsman in Idaho who agreed to reassemble the parts back into a rolling running car. The ownership never changed hands. At no time was the car plated nor was it driven anywhere. So what is the 1 year deal all about?
I don't think the border revenue collectors read the chapter on collector cars that are older than 25 years and are exempt from duty and other silly paper work. I'd be talking to a lawyer.

Don't need a lawer...

• Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.

Don't need a lawer...

• Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.
I don't have all the research I did before I took my car down, but as far as I remember it boiled down to all these little rules ceased to apply when a 25 + year old car was involved. Because of the age, there isn't any duty on old cars, so an American can buy a beater in Canada and haul it home. I suspect all these rules are to stop cross border newer car flippers. Not many flippers for 46 year old cars.

Not many flippers for 46 year old cars.

When the CDN $ reached parity and above there was a rush to import classics from the states. The deals were everywhere. Now the poor bastards in the patch are selling them off at big discounts. Ive been offered Cuda's Coronets Challengers Chargers in trade for new vehicles but can't justify paying what they are asking now...believe me i've considered it. Had a guy offer us a 70 Challenger AAR for a Hellcat. It was a clone and at best a #3 car so investment would have been $80k too rich for my blood

Any updates Derek??

am still wandering the countryside at will...this year has found me in Edmonton twice..saskatoon twice..and wpg once so far...finally find myself doing projects at home for the summer...woot what a treat ...went grocery shopping at 8 am this morning and had a blast...something about being home.....

so screw the sob story what about the car folks are probably askin..
.....welp at last notice we had the stuck valve on one head and when both heads were checked we found a 2nd and 3rd valve that were questionable so the decision was made to take the heads to a different outfit for machining ect at which point all valves will be replaced and previous work inspected...Pauls not leaveing anything to chance...
Again now that we have a little time now re customs to work on the car Pauls taken a little bit of a break as hes been putting in some pretty nasty hrs the last few months trying to beat the customs deadline.
With me busy pretty well everyday this summer told Paul to take his time to get it sorted and get the car dialed in 110% and l'll take a week off the end of this Aug at which point Paul and Gina his wife will bring GT up and were gona make it a holiday for the lot of us and hit the mountains for some fishing and R&R hopefully
sooooooo sometimes the best way to deal with a woman is to ignore them for awhile (apologies ladys) so this is what Paul is doing...
Every morning lately Paul has another project a ladys been waiting on paitiently and as he walks by Christeen hes working on a 59 chev belair now...story behind this vehicle was the woman has it being restored somewhere else and for whatever reason things didn't quite work out at which point the lady in question sent it to Paul for completion...
apparently alota the work was done but reinstallation of parts ect had yet to take place...grill came in boxes all disassembled..some parts missing ect ect byt time it hit Pauls....well we all know Paul...took some tinkering on his part but hes got it almost beat...
1959 Chev Belair
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_1615.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG
IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG

the powers that be that send my butt all over the country decided to build a house..think lm gona git stuck doint the stone on it...love the garages...
20160625_105913_1467167472973.jpg

Last edited:
Ain't it nice to be at home... I love it. No place I'd rather be generally!!

Glad to hear that the engine questions are being taken care of - and as I'm sure you know, there likely will be other surprizes as you dial the car in, although with Paul on the case, I suspect there will be very very few!

For some reason I can't see the BelAir pics when I click on them... '59 is one of my fave Chev cars.

Good luck on the finishing up of the car - and don't keep us in the dark for so long!! :)

Back