1973 Fury 1 with 225 slant six engine

Broadcast sheet pictures have been listed. Thanks.

B26- 11X2.5 rear brakes; manual adjust taxi
B41- front disc brakes with power drum rear

C23- rear arm rest/ashtray
C52-bench seat
C81-Heavy duty front seat springs
C83- Heavy duty rear seat springs
C95- heavy duty floor mats; black; front and rear

D34- standard duty automatic transmission. (Assembly 051 [PN 3681051 ] on line 4)
D52- 8.25 rear end with 2.94 gears
D82 – 8.25 axle (goes with 194 axle assembly on line. C body 8.25 with 2.94 gears; non sure grip; 11x2.5 brakes)

E25- 225 cid /6

F18-60 amp alternator
F28- 70 amp battery
F41-roof wiring with hole
F58-rear cross member reinforcement
F61-front wheelhouse high temp seal
F64- two piece s/cable. (I don’t know what this is.)

G11-tinted glass; all
G25-manual vent wing window
G33-left hand outside remote mirror; chrome
G41-prismatic rear view mirror

H31- rear window defogger

J11-glove box lock
J15-cigar lighter
J25-three speed wipers
J31-dual horns
J52-instrument panel hood release
J91- instrument panel 1 (standard panel)

L55-H.D. stop lamp switch
L61-rear door dome light switch

M21-drip rail molding

N51-max cooling ( RAD 29 [PN 2998 329] from line 3. Fan shroud)
N76-coolant recovery system

S02-HD front shocks
S12-normal suspension
S32-HD rear shocks
S77-power steering
S86-color keyed three spoke steering wheel

U17-black wall F78 x15 tires

W01- hub caps (WHEEL COVER 50 [PN 3461 450]on line 4)
W55- body colored road wheels
W95- black 15x6.5 black road wheel (rim for the spare)

Thanks 69CoronetRT

D34 = SD trans (PN 3681051) = 727 Torqueflite behind 225/ 6 in a 1973 police/taxi/truck. 727 behind a 225 slant 6 ? Never would have thought that. I assumed it would be a 904.

F64 = two piece s/cable (speedometer cable). This is so you can install a taxi meter.

U17 = black wall F78 X 15 tires????????? should be G78 X 15 BSW, base tire for taxi

S12 = normal suspension???????? should be HD suspension, base suspension on taxi

E25 = 225 1bb 6cyl H.D. How would this be a H.D. engine, what is H.D. about it?

My car has an original AM radio. Would this show up on the broadcast sheet or would it have been dealer installed?

Thanks 69CoronetRT

D34 = SD trans (PN 3681051) = 727 Torqueflite behind 225/ 6 in a 1973 police/taxi/truck. 727 behind a 225 slant 6 ? Never would have thought that. I assumed it would be a 904.

F64 = two piece s/cable (speedometer cable). This is so you can install a taxi meter. Good. Thanks.

U17 = black wall F78 X 15 tires????????? should be G78 X 15 BSW, base tire for taxi Don't know. Codes for the F78.

S12 = normal suspension???????? should be HD suspension, base suspension on taxi. BS does show the heaver 578-579 440 torsion bars. I can't find the PN for the rear springs. That would be the 'normal' suspension for that application.

E25 = 225 1bb 6cyl H.D. How would this be a H.D. engine, what is H.D. about it? I don't think it haws anything to do with the actual engine. I'm not sure but checking the parts book, I think the HD refers to using the HD (727) transmission behind the /6. I can't confirm the torque converter was different but what about things like the bell housing, ring gear and other items required to bolt up a /6 to a 727?

My car has an original AM radio. Would this show up on the broadcast sheet or would it have been dealer installed? That would be an R code. It's not coded on the broadcast sheet you posted.

Expand the window for replies.

Last edited:
They put 727 behind /6 in pick up trucks.
I would think that HD suspension would make the car ride higher in rear at least.

If you look at the transmission bellhousing, you may see a spacer/adapter that the factory used to mount that 727 to the /6.

I've seen them in pickup trucks and I assume they still did that in 73.

Rear leaf springs - There are 7 leafs in front of shock mount bracket and 6 leafs behind shock mount bracket. The 7th leaf is very short.

So when the 727 trans and C-body 440 V8 torsion bars are on the shelf in the parts warehouse there not H.D. parts and that's why they don't show up as H.D. parts on the BS sheet. Put these parts on a 73 C-body with a slant six and they are H.D. parts do to the fact that they are H.D. parts for a slant six C-body.

Thanks for decoding my broadcast sheet. Must have taken some time and effort to decode all those codes.

Turns out F78 X 15 (205/75X15?) was optional on taxis. My car has G78 X 15s (215/75X15?) but there not original as you can imagine. I'm putting on 225/75X15s. I'm thinking 205/75X15 would look really small on a C-body.

Rear leaf springs - There are 7 leafs in front of shock mount bracket and 6 leafs behind shock mount bracket. The 7th leaf is very short.

So when the 727 trans and C-body 440 V8 torsion bars are on the shelf in the parts warehouse there not H.D. parts and that's why they don't show up as H.D. parts on the BS sheet. Put these parts on a 73 C-body with a slant six and they are H.D. parts do to the fact that they are H.D. parts for a slant six C-body.

7 leaf rear springs are what my u code 440 pursuit car has.

Thanks for decoding my broadcast sheet. Must have taken some time and effort to decode all those codes.

Turns out F78 X 15 (205/75X15?) was optional on taxis. My car has G78 X 15s (215/75X15?) but there not original as you can imagine. I'm putting on 225/75X15s. I'm thinking 205/75X15 would look really small on a C-body.
Go 235/75-15

Also, since it is a Taxi, you can go 245/75-15 SUV tires.

Go 235/75-15

Also, since it is a Taxi, you can go 245/75-15 SUV tires.
235/75-15 would look better than 225s problem is I bought a set of aluminum Jeep wheels off craigslist for my 2000 XJ Cherokee 4 weeks ago and they came with 225s with good tread on them. Now I have a place to put these tires.

Thanks for the info on the Plymouth dealership in Boston. When I have time I'll do some research. I'm thinking this car must have came from that dealer. The miles are low, the vinyl top isn't factory and it looks as old as the car.

73FuryTaxiA.jpg
73FuryTaxiB.jpg
Look what I found on Ebay!

Gonna have to get you one of those wire mess Kool-Kushions...

Btw, you cant find the good HD large ones anymore. I gotto get them on the internet now...

Recently did some work on the Fury. Changed the fluids and installed a new fuel pump. It wouldn't start so we took the carburetor fuel bowl off and determined it needed some cleaning. Also the needle wasn't letting any fuel in. Ended up finding a carb rebuilt kit at NAPA and replaced the needle and installed a new fuel bowl gasket. Tried again and she started up with little effort. Motor sounded real good. We let it worm up and took if for a short drive on a short dead end street. I was surprised how well the small slant six pulled the Fury down the road. I didn't go any faster than 30 MPH but it got up to 30 fairly quick. It stalled at low idle several times so I'll need to rebuild the carburetor. We also gave it a bath in and out.

Recently bought a 1973 parts book and did some research. Was surprised to find that Fury Taxis & Police cars use the same rear springs. I would have assumed they would have used the same HD springs that other C-body's would have used but these springs are specific to Taxi & Police (part # 3722708). Front torsion bars are part # 2269578 & 9 = 440 V8 or HD suspension. I don't think my car has a front sway bar so I'll need to track one down at some point unless anyone thinks I don't need one?

Did find some stuff on eBay besides the TAXI roof sign. Found a NOS grille for short money and found a set of 9" dog dish hub caps. Hub caps arrived on Friday and there in real nice shape.

Will be posting questions soon about 15 X 6.5 wheels and sheet metal interchangeability from year to year and model to model.

FuryParts.jpg

I just found this thread and I have to say I really dig your Fury. A plain Jane with a twist. So cool! Glad that she's in good hands! And keep us posted!

I just found it too. i cannot keep up with everything on this site - dunno how some of you folks do it :)

anyway, i'll pile on. This is a NEAT, rare, cool car. so, my advice is redundant. Keep it as a taxi in your restoration efforts. can't be more than a handful left in the world.

good luck with it.

There is a 73 fury III slant6 sold new here in the Netherlands.
I,m almost sure there were a few more sold in Belgium.

I just found it too. i cannot keep up with everything on this site - dunno how some of you folks do it :)

anyway, i'll pile on. This is a NEAT, rare, cool car. so, my advice is redundant. Keep it as a taxi in your restoration efforts. can't be more than a handful left in the world.

good luck with it.

I'll bring it back to the way it looked sitting on the dealer lot in terms of how it was equipped. Before blue top and side moldings were put on. Will need to plug the hole in the roof. Just need to figure out what type of plug they would have used back in the day. Don't want to mount a taxi meter to my dash. Besides part of what makes this car interesting is that it wasn't used as a taxi.

On my way out to a big AMC show in Kenosha Wisconsin I stopped into Murray B Parks in Ohio. Bought a set of four 15 X 6.5 H wheels. These are the heavy duty wheels used on my taxi and I believe police cars and who knows what else. Part number 3580064 near valve stem. Still can't figure out what other Mopar's came with these wheels and why. These came from a 74 fury 2-door. Been looking for these wheels for a long time.

MurrayParkWheelsa.jpg

MurrayParkWheelsc.jpg

Murray has lots of cars and parts. It's amazing what he has accumulated over the years. Here are two pictures of one location. Supposedly he has two other locations packed full of C-bodies like this one. Real nice guy.

MurrayParka.jpg

MurrayParkb.jpg

Last edited:
Back