1973 Fury 1 with 225 slant six engine

I would inspect the steering and suspension very thoroughly.....who knows how many hundreds of thousands of mile could be on this car.
Original rubber mat floor has no heel markers in front of the gas pedal. Brake pedal has very little wear on right corner. Interior drivers door panel looks as good as the other 3 panels. Front seat has no wear and is as firm on the drivers side as it is on the passenger side. Plus the vinyl looks original. Heater hoses are original and have original clamps. Odometer reads somewhere around 46,000 miles. We found a note book which states ruffly 45,300 1983 and 45,700 1988. I don't think this taxi was put into service.

Funny thing is the vinyl top isn't original and the top looks like its as old as the car. So I'm thinking the top was put on when it was new or within 4 to 5 years after 1973. Why would they put a vinyl top on a taxi that's in service?

Allow me to relate one story.
Back around those years, there was one Plymouth Dealer in the greater Boston area that had the Taxi sales locked up tight. You wanted a taxi? You had to buy from them. Their lot was filled with taxi cars there on spec. Walk in, drive it home in an hour. They did a huge amount of private sales to people looking for the cheapest no-nonsense sedan around.

It makes sense with the vinyl top.

I remember looking at cars in the sixties and early seventies that had a dealer installed vinyl top. It would make perfect sense to me that a dealer would have a vinyl top installed rather than having their body shop patch a hole in the roof.

Possible scenarios could be a leftover or demo that didn't get sold as a taxi and ended up in private hands.

Either way, this car is fascinating to me.

Some guys do cop cars and some do funeral cars.... There are still restorable or low mileage examples that pop up. A taxi?? They were used up and thrown away.

That is very nice!

gold_duster02.jpg

I would defiantly make a --- Uber out of it.

Seriously, that would be a great gimmick. I don't know anything about the Uber machine, but I know it's something like an internet taxi that can only drive on the info superhighway. But I'm sure this would set you apart from the other Uber-ers with Priuses and other sissy crap.

Very cool car. Thanks for posting it.

Allow me to relate one story.
Back around those years, there was one Plymouth Dealer in the greater Boston area that had the Taxi sales locked up tight. You wanted a taxi? You had to buy from them. Their lot was filled with taxi cars there on spec. Walk in, drive it home in an hour. They did a huge amount of private sales to people looking for the cheapest no-nonsense sedan around.
Very Very interesting! This car came from the Boston area. This car must be from that dealer. Do you remember the name of the dealer, location etc? Is there a way to determine from the broadcast sheet if this was a sold vehicle or a vehicle ordered by a Plymouth dealer for inventory?

Very Very interesting! This car came from the Boston area. This car must be from that dealer. Do you remember the name of the dealer, location etc? Is there a way to determine from the broadcast sheet if this was a sold vehicle or a vehicle ordered by a Plymouth dealer for inventory?
****, my memory bank for 1973 is a bit hazy. :rolleyes:
Lemme think a bit who the dealer was.

Looks like a siren on the left inner fender?

While I'm sure it's no racecar, my '70 with 318 never feels like a dog. I'd guess a /6 Fury could hit 60 in maybe 12 seconds? We should do an over/under.

What a great/unusual ride. I'm from MA. (just outside of Worcester.) I hope to see this car at a local show someday. Thanks for posting all the photo's. What is that yellow part in the engine photo?

Looks like a siren on the left inner fender?

While I'm sure it's no racecar, my '70 with 318 never feels like a dog. I'd guess a /6 Fury could hit 60 in maybe 12 seconds? We should do an over/under.
I'm assuming its a car alarm. There is a small key cylinder installed on the left fender.
I know its going to be slow, hope its not painfully slow.

What a great/unusual ride. I'm from MA. (just outside of Worcester.) I hope to see this car at a local show someday. Thanks for posting all the photo's. What is that yellow part in the engine photo?
I live in Westford, near Lowell. Yellow thing is a car alarm. Been thinking about bringing it to a Mopar show just to see how long it takes for people to figure out what it is. Know of any 73 Fury's in junk yards or any 69-73 C-Bodies?

Back