1974 Fury II - Build Tread - (First build)

Northern_Rookie

Reaction score
Hey all,

Started a thread in the Introductions section but thought I'd start a proper build thread here.

First off, I'm very green mechanically, so assume if commenting or assisting that I know absolutely nothing. Not to worry, I'll clarify and won't be offended haha.
Anyway, like I said this is my first attempt doing anything like this.

A bit about the car: 1974 Fury II Sedan; LA8 360; 2bbl Carburator; 3 speed automatic
The car has been parked, outside under a tree, since I would estimate the mid 80s
Nothing was wrong with the car when it was parked, my grandfather simply got something else and it was parked in the farm yard.
The one issue I know of, the exhaust was rebuilt in about 1983.
Rust is (I think) moderate, in places around the wheel wells, and the bottom of the back window etc

Obviously there's more but that's a start.
Now, for what I have/plan to do, and being green as I am not sure where to look for this stuff.
I did pull the fan to access the crank-bolt. I can confirm it turns easily enough.
I need to replace both battery cables: But then I realize that these cables are spliced, which I'll admit I've never dealt with. Do I just buy cables, and two splice repair kits to run new wires for the headlights etc? Again, never really seen that in vehicles I've touched... I'll admit this car is in the realm of 20 years older than I am haha.
I know I'll need to drain and replace all the fluids, anyone have any recommended resources for the proper fluids, if any additives would be needed etc? I'll be honest I got myself the last copy of the relevant "Haynes" manual, but it doesn't touch on that from what I can tell. Also will note that this is going on in Canada, so not sure about retailer equivalents etc

Just want to see if I can get it running, even if I gotta look at a different route for a builder, donors, finding another shell, I'd like to make something happen with a decent LA8 360cu

Will try and take some photos when I get a chance! :)

Check out budget builds on You Tube. They recently posted a video on a 74 Monaco that's been sitting for many years. Different engine, but the premise and details should get you moving.
You're almost certainly going to need a gas tank. Rock Auto is your friend, I bought and installed one on my Royal Monaco. Worked just fine. The fuel filler neck seal will need to be replaced. Steele Rubber sells one too. Get on it, post some pics!

If you do need a gas tank, I think a 74 Fury II gas tank is the same as my 77 Gran Fury. The part number is a spectra CR22A which I found on Amazon for cheaper than most other places, some crazy people on eBay want upwards of $800 but it's on sale for $277 right now, I already got one Amazon.com

So I said I'd post some pictures. Still working on getting the darn thing off the ground... the willows grew riiight at the jack points so its hand digging threw roots until I can figure out where I'm at with it haha

20240622_204819.jpg

20240622_204831.jpg

20240622_204842.jpg

20240622_204951.jpg

20240622_204859.jpg

20240622_204921.jpg

20240622_204941.jpg

First off, I'm very green mechanically, so assume if commenting or assisting that I know absolutely nothing. Not to worry, I'll clarify and won't be offended haha.
Anyway, like I said this is my first attempt doing anything like this.
With that in mind, I'm just going to say it.

This is the wrong car to restore. The rust has really overtaken this one. Seeing the rust holes in the roof and it sitting in the weeds for years tells me it's going to be bad underneath. Front stub frame is probably shot and possibly the rear frame rails. The floor is probably shot too.

This is a project for someone with a lot of skills or a very deep wallet. Hundreds of hours either way. IMHO, it's a parts car at best.

Not trying to bust your bubble or be negative, just telling the truth as I see it. You would be money and time ahead to find something in better shape that needs a little here and there. The big projects like this often never get done, especially with someone new to the hobby. You can get bogged down and lose interest pretty easy.

My advice is to find something running and driving. From there you can do some little weekend jobs to make it better, and even learn a bit, but in the meantime you can be out driving it and having fun. Maybe even find another one of these cars and use this one as a parts car.

I agree with John. Finding a car in half decent shape will save you a ton of money in the long run even if the initial investment is a couple thousand more.

With that in mind, I'm just going to say it.

This is the wrong car to restore. The rust has really overtaken this one. Seeing the rust holes in the roof and it sitting in the weeds for years tells me it's going to be bad underneath. Front stub frame is probably shot and possibly the rear frame rails. The floor is probably shot too.

This is a project for someone with a lot of skills or a very deep wallet. Hundreds of hours either way. IMHO, it's a parts car at best.

Not trying to bust your bubble or be negative, just telling the truth as I see it. You would be money and time ahead to find something in better shape that needs a little here and there. The big projects like this often never get done, especially with someone new to the hobby. You can get bogged down and lose interest pretty easy.

My advice is to find something running and driving. From there you can do some little weekend jobs to make it better, and even learn a bit, but in the meantime you can be out driving it and having fun. Maybe even find another one of these cars and use this one as a parts car.
Hey John,

I appreciate the forewarning, and I don't disagree. I had the same thoughts looking at the roof, wheel wells, and the interior myself. It may well be that this car never gets finished or even drives again.

For a bit more context, as I said it was found in the farm yard. We were bringing scappers in, and of the 3 cars I looked at, this one seemed the best bet to do anything with (the other was a Chevy with a bent frame)

Right now, my total input costs are about $100CAD or like $65USD. The car itself is free, to do with as I will. I picked up an oil cap, a couple battery cables, and got the Haynes Manual for next to nothing. My only goal right now, is get it up, see whats what, and maybe grab some belts, borrow back the starter we robbed from it, borrow a battery, and see if I can get the engine and/or transmission to run.

I'm open to feedback if you think even that is wasted effort. My thought process is, its a free "learning experience" to be able to work through the various systems, recognize some issues, and worst case scenario I'm out some of my weekends. If I can get a decent small block out of the project, or a bit more and I find a shell to put on it down the road, even better.

I hope I'm not coming off poorly or anything, certainly happy to hear more from people that have forgotten more than I know at this stage. Just wanted to offer a bit of clarity on the scope of my intentions at this phase

The car doesn't look that bad to be honest, as long as the frame rails aren't rusty and there aren't holes in the body so big they can't be patched with sheet metal and basic tools, that can be fixed in time. The interior is actually in better shape than my car though that isn't hard to do. But you do need to make sure the drivetrain is in working order, if it's not then the car isn't monetarily worth it. I went through this exact situation digging mine out of the woods.

First you need to get it running. Get a good buildable carburetor, it's a 360 so it could either be a Holley 2210/2245 2 bbl or a Thermoquad, if it's a Holley I'd try cleaning and putting a kit in one (could be the one on the car if it's in good shape) and if its a TQ you should probably switch to a different carb like a spreadbore holley 4 bbl since the TQ can be finicky for beginners to rebuild, you can end up dumping gas down the intake if you don't install the seals right or the main wells come unglued. Or if you have the time and money just send it to a professional or buy one already built. You'll want to put a set of spark plugs in it too, an autolite 65 should work. While you have the plugs out, spin the motor over to blow any dirt or debris that has settled in there out and make sure there are no problems and test the coil for spark by letting a wire arc to the body. You really should do this first before you go buying stuff, if the engine won't turn over there's no point continuing. Next fill each cylinder with some mineral oil or cheap motor oil and spin it over some more to get the rings lubed and seated. Put the plugs back in and check for any stupid stuff like crossed up plug wires, water in the oil, no oil, no coolant, etc. Remove the line from the tank to the fuel pump so it doesn't spray old dead gas everywhere. Install your rebuilt carburetor but don't hook up the fuel line yet, and fill the bowl with gasoline, get the pump primed and squirt a shot or two of gas down the barrels and you should be ready to fire the engine. It may take several tries to get it started as it has likely lost compression from sitting. If it runs for a second or two, get some new fuel line and run from the suction side of the pump to a clean gas container (I thoroughly cleaned out the washer fluid jug and used it.) Spin the motor over with the fuel line run to a water bottle and flush out the line before hooking it to the carb. You should now be able to keep the car running. Once it runs on it's own, pop it in neutral and check the transmission fluid. If you need to add some use type F or a dexron ii compatible fluid. Put it in gear and see if it pulls. If it does, find some wheels and tires that hold air and drive it out.

Back