2018 Hurricane Season... looks like the fun is begining...

What is the most important item in your hurricane survival kit?

• Beer

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Condoms

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Ammunition

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Cigarettes

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Still kicking down here. 3rd day with no power and most of the phone lines are down. Jacksonville took a good beating but nowhere as bad as Wilmington or the New Bern areas. Theres a lot of streets underwater here.

I stepped out to run to my car last night to charge my phone and nearly got took off my feet.
Had a few tornado warnings but nothing touched down. Looks like we got the last of storm early this morning. Now it’s on its way to South Carolina.
I hope Jer is alright.

- Greer

Just heard from Bob, heard you guys were all freaking out at my absence, so sweet. Anyway the rain has dropped off, only got a few leaks here and there. Nothing damaged. I am going to go for a drive and see if the floodwaters are cutting anything off. Will update everyone again soon on that. In the meantime I think we are over the hump now, fingers crossed.
I called Dale @sauterd in Greenville and apart from minor flooding in his garage and his AC dying, he is good too. He won't be able to get on the net till at least Tuesday though.
I hope everyone in Luzon pulls through without too much drama too. I know they get hit bad a lot.

38582033-EBB0-4E3E-B087-3CCF9D084769.jpeg
Good grief. Just got a msg from a good friend of mine who lives in Wilmington. His house is on the sound side. He said they have had 30 inches of rain already & its was raining extremely hard now & the heavy rain band has parked itself over Wilmington. He said the city was in danger of being cut off from the mainland. In case you are not familiar. Wilmington is a port city. The Battleship USS North Carolina is there as a tourist attraction.

This is horrible, thoughts and prayers are also with these folks. My wife had to call amazon customer care about some damaged goods we received and surprise surprise, ended up talking with a really sweet girl in that region who expressed her fears of the coming storm. This girl still just has a tarp for a roof since the last storm...

I have been out in the "province" as they call it. Here we would say the boonies and it really is the boonies. Lots of houses, I use that loosely, are simple thatch Nipa huts with palm fronds for the roof. Some are cheap plywood and cardboard. When I visited my wife's brother in 2003 his house was built of cinder blocks, with dirt floor, and a corrugated steel roof loosely attached in my opinion. So much so, and with the large overhang being open windows as glass is way too expensive, a typhoon just picks the steel up and wings it away down the mountainside. It eventually becomes someone else's new roof and that was precisely what happened to his roof a few years later. I ended up paying for a new one.
building-a-house-philippines-roof-002.jpg
concrete-block-construction-007178.jpg

I have been out in the "province" as they call it. Here we would say the boonies and it really is the boonies. Lots of houses, I use that loosely, are simple thatch Nipa huts with palm fronds for the roof. Some are cheap plywood and cardboard. When I visited my wife's brother in 2003 his house was built of cinder blocks, with dirt floor, and a corrugated steel roof loosely attached in my opinion. So much so, and with the large overhang being open windows as glass is way too expensive, a typhoon just picks the steel up and wings it away down the mountainside. It eventually becomes someone else's new roof and that was precisely what happened to his roof a few years later. I ended up paying for a new one.
View attachment 213568 View attachment 213569
Not exactly built to Dade County post Andrew specifications... it's amazing anything still stands after 200MPH winds hit. I hope your family there has made it through the storm with their health, but imagine that structure will at least need another roof.

Do we have a damage and power report from our friends in the Carolina's?

Jer, are you back online???

Meanwhile, in Wilmington, the rain keeps falling...
two_atl_2d0.png

Hopefully Jer is still above water. As I understand he is located above "normal" flood waters, but this one isn't normal.

Do we have a damage and power report from our friends in the Carolina's?

Jer, are you back online???
With the numbers without power and the continued flooding in the area, I think it would be impressive if they restore his power very soon.

Florence is on path to come through Maryland Monday and Tuesday with wind and rain. Coastal and tidal flooding above normal already.

BTW... I've been checking in on the local TV broadcast...
Homepage WECT
The looting at the Family Dollar next to the low income housing is inspirational... I have a lot of thoughts for commentary, but will refrain to stay politically correct and not inspire any racist bend to this.

View attachment 213545 Good grief. Just got a msg from a good friend of mine who lives in Wilmington. His house is on the sound side. He said they have had 30 inches of rain already & its was raining extremely hard now & the heavy rain band has parked itself over Wilmington. He said the city was in danger of being cut off from the mainland. In case you are not familiar. Wilmington is a port city. The Battleship USS North Carolina is there as a tourist attraction.

I got to pretend to fire the side guns a few years ago on the ship. it was a really great tour.

Straight to voicemail when I called Jer last night.

Yea it’s been about 20-25 years since I was last on it. I need to pay her another visit.

The Battleship is probably my favorite thing about Wilmington. I go visit every 2-3 years to see what changes. They have built a cofferdam around her for upcoming hull repairs. I've always wondered how she fairs during these storms. She's very stout and very leaky, but she was built to withstand flying "debris". Giving the option, I'd ride out a storm on her.

For a weather update; the wind has picked up here with some strong gust (30-40 mph) which I suspect will be bringing down trees due to the long, soaking rain. A friend of mine is on a power line crew, maybe I'll get to check in with him later, I'm sure they're busy.

Last edited:
I'm assuming (hoping) that you're on high ground... stay dry Bob.

Yes, and I should be fine. All of my cars are parked where trees can't fall on them. The only problem are the huge trees in the rain saturated back yard that could land on the deck and my house.

Next big project is a whole house generator. I need power for my leg circulation pumps. I have to figure out how to release the pressure if I have them on and compressing and the dang power goes out.

I just received a phone call from Jer. He and Gail are OK. His has a small generator but has to be careful because there is no gasoline available. There's no power anywhere and everthing is shut down. Gas stations on generator power are out of gasoline or there's a 45 min. line.
He has food for a few days and he has his son checking in on them. His son has his own problems with fallen trees and one of them destroyed the house.

Things are rough in Wilmington, for sure. He asked me to spread the word to everyone that they're OK.

Back