3 sp manual 64 NY'er

re: 3 speed

1. This is a 63 Newport trans. In 64, Chrysler let you choose between the new 4 speed or automatic for no charge.
Why would someone demand a 3 speed when they could get 4 speed free?
Post pics of taillights and vin. This should establish identity.
Thanks,
Tom Denkler

The plot thickens...:thinker:
Not really.
The car IS a '64 Newport. The grill and trim prove that.
If it has the base 361 engine, the 4 speed was not available on this engine. Just the standard three speed.
It's not that hard to figure out.

That's a 64 Chrysler 300 K 4 speed. 1 of 85 made. Only @ 6 exist!
Thanks,
Tom Denkler

It's hard when you're thick headed like me!.
I've never seen floor 3 speed in a 64.
This is exact setup for all 63 Newports with 3 speeds.
There have been at least 5 come through CL and Epay this year alone.
1 was supposedly Petty family owned grocery getter.
Tom Denkler

Tom, I'm totally confused now ...(shut up, Dave)
Of the two floor shift cars in this thread, which one are you referring to.
The one in the opening post or the blue haze car?

Last edited:
that was my understanding from 300 club international. 2 converts and 4 hardtops. I am not the best source.
Karl Pippart is, in my opinion, mr C-body 4speed.He wrote some semi-annual newsletters on C-body 4 speeds. Real interesting info.
I have a 65 300 L 4 speed.
I believe @ 20 out of 105 exist, 12 are convert 4 speeds.

Tom, I'm totally confused now ...(shut up, Dave)
Of the two floor shift cars in this thread, which one are you referring to.
The one in the opening post or the blue haze car?

I'm sorry. There was a link to a pic of a 64 300K 4speed.I was commenting on that pic. I felt the same way when I looked at my reply! Now where is that pic I saw! AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGhhhhhh!
Tom
I also have a 63 300J. There supposedly was 1 63 3 speed stick 300J.
Talk about a Major league treasure hunt!!!

Tom, you're another guy now from this forum I HAVE to meet someday.
Gawd, So many guys here I want to meet, so little time.....

So, find me a fast top original 4 speed with factory A/C and I'll be your slave forever.

Hey guys, it'll prob be gone by then, but I am going up to the area where that 4 spd car is on Sept 29th.......I will look it over and try to get some pics - if its there..........i wouldn't be surprised if it's being loaded into a sea container as i type!

and if it is a 4 spd car and it looks decent, maybe i'll buy it........that can't be a 300K though, it is a 4 dr, so did they even build this body style with a 4 spd?

We need somebody with some answers.

Last edited:
a 4 dr with 300 K console? Like I said before, you had a free choice in 64 and 65 between 4 speed and Torqueflite. Mother Mo wanted to make sure they sold enough 4 speeds to cover tooling,etc.
On 300 K's, the shifter was to the left of console, instead of inside console.
Ever see a 66-69 big Pontiac with 4 speed? they added a small @ 4" "chrome hole" to their console and put the shifter inside this "Chrome hole"! ughhhh!

That interior pic I saw has to be 64 300K.
When I was leaving Deleware area in 1982 ran into a lady that had a 68 MONACO 500 convert 4 speed she was selling. She said her husband bought it to pull a boat.
It was Blue with white top. Had weird full length console, 440 and 4 speed inland shifter.
She wanted $4000 then. said if she didn't get it, she would put it back in the barn!
And of course I lost her Phone number! Double AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
Tom Denkler

There have been several 64 and 65 Chrysler 4 doors with 4 speeds go across CL and Epay @ 2 years ago.
1 was a 64 300 4dr. Same C body Hurst shifter.
The 65 was 1 owner bought by a sheriff. His county refused to maintain as police car,so guy kept it as a personal car.It was 4 dr Newport with bench seat. The shifter had an extra bend in it, but it was a Hurst shifter.
There was aso a 64 Polara wagon that had 426 wedge and 4 speed bench seat on Epay. Same "extra" bend Shifter!
I know where 65 Chrysler wagon with 383 and 3 speed on column is in Slidell La.
Tom Denkler

Tom, what part of the country do you call home? Will we be seeing you at Carlisle in 2013?

The color of the steering wheel seems out of place with the rest of the interior color. I would think the steering wheel would be the same color as the steering column.

I thought about that too, still a very "interesting" car however.

I live in Greeneville Tenn

Tom, what t of the country do you call home? Will we be seeing you at Carlisle in 2013?
I live in Greeneville Tn, My e-mail is tdenkler3853@earthlink.net.
I'vealways been a C body 4 speed nut.
I have 1 65Chrysler 300 L 4 speed in pieces in my garage, 63 Chrysler 300 J. I fornd a set of short rams for it. Did you know that the 300 J and 300 K ram motors actually have that id on engine boss, I.E. 300j or 300k.
I have a 67 Sport Fury 4 speed waiting for 383 to be reassembled, 2 other 300 L's, 2 79 Chrysler 300's and an 06 Hemi Jeep. The only thing else I can afford now is a half blind physco black cat. He supervises my work!
I owned a 66 Dodge Polara 500 Convert 4 speed. Let it get crushed! Arrrrgggghhhhh!
I lost track of a 65 Chrysler 300 L convert 4 speed. Kid wanted $450 for it. By the time I raised the money (35 years ago) it was gone!

Need 2 Carter 3505 S afb's for the J. I will offer a Half blind physco cat for them plus $$$$$$$$$

Tom Denkler

Back