65 300 Brake Booster

Jack Ryan

Reaction score
Need work on Hayes Booster

Rod does not retract easily

Poppet valve stuck?

Anyway I know Hayes stuff is scarce

Any leads in rebuilders?

What needs to be done to put other style booster in it?

Thanks

Is this considered a “solid shell Hayes” unit?

It is a Hayes but what does solid shell refer to?

Mark the friendly guy I’ve been dealing with says he cannot get parts for those units?

Thanks again

Can you post a picture of your booster?

I am assuming your car has factory drum brakes, as the C body disc brake option was brand new and limited to Police and some fleet vehicles for 65, and became a publicly available option for the 1966 model year. FWIW, C body disc brake systems had a Bendix Dual Diaphragm unit.

In '65, there was only really one vendor (Midland-Ross) supplying drum brake boosters for Chrysler, with perhaps a second vendor making their own to Chrysler's specs - perhaps used for warranty/field installation, which I believe was Kelsey Hayes and/or Budd.

The one I'm familiar with looked like this, and is known as a 2 pc shell clamp band booster, which was different than the disc booster which was a 2 pc shell bent-tab closure type.

Drum brake booster (IIRC, it's a Midland-Ross unit)

65-68 drum brake booster.jpg

Bendix Dual Diaphragm Disc brake booster

65-68 Disc Brake Booster.jpg

Please see pics

This car has been in the family since 1972

I’ve owned it since 1980 when I was 12

Don’t remember any brake work being done

One rebuilder thought this unit was an aftermarket available in the 70’s?

Thanks again

IMG_1700.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg

IMG_1698.jpeg

Hmmm - looks like a "field/upgrade for the aftermarket" KH booster. Never seen one of those on a C body that I recall.

If it fits and worked well, have it rebuilt.

I'd send it to Booster Dewey's company.

Hmmm - looks like a "field/upgrade for the aftermarket" KH booster. Never seen one of those on a C body that I recall.

If it fits and worked well, have it rebuilt.

I'd send it to Booster Dewey's company.
I dunno... Looks to me like the K-H booster shown in the '65 FSM. Page 5-17.

Here’s what one rebuilder said about my oddball power booster when I asked him if it was aftermarket

No In 1964-to Early 65 they used C64 K/H ( See attached ) as OEM units on some models and not on others

Back