65 300 Brake Booster

Jack Ryan

Reaction score
Need work on Hayes Booster

Rod does not retract easily

Poppet valve stuck?

Anyway I know Hayes stuff is scarce

Any leads in rebuilders?

What needs to be done to put other style booster in it?

Thanks

Is this considered a “solid shell Hayes” unit?

It is a Hayes but what does solid shell refer to?

Mark the friendly guy I’ve been dealing with says he cannot get parts for those units?

Thanks again

Can you post a picture of your booster?

I am assuming your car has factory drum brakes, as the C body disc brake option was brand new and limited to Police and some fleet vehicles for 65, and became a publicly available option for the 1966 model year. FWIW, C body disc brake systems had a Bendix Dual Diaphragm unit.

In '65, there was only really one vendor (Midland-Ross) supplying drum brake boosters for Chrysler, with perhaps a second vendor making their own to Chrysler's specs - perhaps used for warranty/field installation, which I believe was Kelsey Hayes and/or Budd.

The one I'm familiar with looked like this, and is known as a 2 pc shell clamp band booster, which was different than the disc booster which was a 2 pc shell bent-tab closure type.

Drum brake booster (IIRC, it's a Midland-Ross unit)

65-68 drum brake booster.jpg

Bendix Dual Diaphragm Disc brake booster

65-68 Disc Brake Booster.jpg

Please see pics

This car has been in the family since 1972

I’ve owned it since 1980 when I was 12

Don’t remember any brake work being done

One rebuilder thought this unit was an aftermarket available in the 70’s?

Thanks again

IMG_1700.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg

IMG_1698.jpeg

Hmmm - looks like a "field/upgrade for the aftermarket" KH booster. Never seen one of those on a C body that I recall.

If it fits and worked well, have it rebuilt.

I'd send it to Booster Dewey's company.

Hmmm - looks like a "field/upgrade for the aftermarket" KH booster. Never seen one of those on a C body that I recall.

If it fits and worked well, have it rebuilt.

I'd send it to Booster Dewey's company.
I dunno... Looks to me like the K-H booster shown in the '65 FSM. Page 5-17.

Here’s what one rebuilder said about my oddball power booster when I asked him if it was aftermarket

No In 1964-to Early 65 they used C64 K/H ( See attached ) as OEM units on some models and not on others

I'm back.

The rebuilder just informed me that he was informed that parts are no longer available for the K-H unit.

I know this has been discussed in other threads but didn't know if there was new info.

I'm guessing find a Midland Ross unit and just make sure the pushrod measures the same from the firewall to the pedal?

Anyone know who might carry these?

Thanks,

Jack

Looks like NAPA carries the MR units. They have the regular and "field installed" version which I'm guessing was a dealer installed unit.

One thing occurred to me looking through the parts book.

The issue is that when you let off the brakes the booster would not return home keeping the master cylinder engaged. The pedal would just bob up and down like it was floating on air for a period eventually returning home. I never thought to check the pedal return spring. If the pedal is not pulled up by the pedal return spring would it act like this or are there springs in the booster that would push the pedal home if the booster is working correctly?

Back