66 383 what fuel pump should I get?

Cartel

Reaction score
They all look like junk but...anyone got a preference?

mine was pissing out the top of the band clamp, thought about squishing it wioth vice grips but maybe in a last choice situation I'd do that.

thanks

2021051.jpg

DSC01281.JPG
DSC01279.JPG
DSC01280.JPG

I bought a couple Carter M3672 from rock auto, no issues in 10,000 miles for the one I installed on Cicada.

Carter does make a quality product. I have an electric in-line from them and it's been great. Although now that I've said that, I'm sure it'll crap out. Guess I better go get a mechanical pump now...dang it.

I just replaced mine with a Carter from Rock Auto. Wanted to go with a manufacturer that at least I though I could trust. working fine on my 66 w/383. I needed son-in-laws help with his special curve knuckled socket to get it on though. I couldn't get it back on without another set of hands and that tolol to get that back bolt going.

I got mine last year from Craig @mobileparts . It's a Carter pump for my 383. I like to support our independent businesses and you can't go wrong dealing with Craig.

mrfury68,
I buy direct from Carter…..

There is a lot of discussion that Amazon is sending out fake Carter Fuel Pumps these days …. It is like a $ 20 ROLEX watch !!!

Craig……

I grabbed 2 carters shipped to my door for $20 less than 1 locally
grease is from me comparing the old one

DSC01297.JPG
DSC01298.JPG
DSC01299.JPG

DSC01300.JPG

2021057.jpg

Last edited:
Good job. I have 2 TNT cars and both have the rebuildable carter, should you ever run across, you can get these rebuilt

DSC06705.JPG

Wish this were written a couple months ago....but still in time for me. I got a Delphi from china....just looked at it, just in case mine quits. But, I took it out of the box, and with all my weight on top of the pump, the lever barely moves......I am not happy about that. I have had a lot of pumps in my hands, and they are usually tough, but not impossible to cycle. So, will find one made in Mx by Carter post haste. thanks

Carter has been out of business since 91 or 92. Some company bought the name or rights to use it. They're manufactured...you guessed it. ..China. Putting cheap Chinese crap in a Carter box. Sort of like the movie Tommy Boy...with the brake pads. I purchased 2 of them, 65 Chrysler 300L, 413. And one for my 67 Plymouth Sport Fury, 383. They are noisy..thought I was hearing a light main bearing noise...then noticed both cars making the same noise. Especially the Plymouth, almost sounds like a lifter or exhaust manifold leak. That one is too loud for me and will replace with NOS real deal Carter pump.

The cheap Chinese imposter Carter fuel pumps sold at rock auto are missing a return spring on the pump arm. I believe that is the reason for the noise I'm hearing. I guess you get what you pay for. Really cheap these days. In fact, alot cheaper now than they were in the late 70's.

Back