66 Chrysler 300 440 TNT first restauration

So you don't really know what front brakes you have?

You don't have to take off the wheel, you can look at the back of the brake and see. Take a photo and post it

So you don't really know what front brakes you have?

You don't have to take off the wheel, you can look at the back of the brake and see. Take a photo and post it
Here is what I have I think you are right brake disk in the front and drum in the back is that standard for the car ?

IMG_4942.jpeg

IMG_4944.jpeg

Nice car, I like it.

If you swap out that master cylinder, save the old one!! That extension on the top of the one on the car is for added capacity for the disc brakes and is hard to find.

Trans leak is probably the shifter seal. They mimic a pan leak because it drips down. I suggest a look at this thread. TF 727 "How To" shift lever seal replacement and use the Chrysler trans pan gasket PN# 02464324AD if you have the pan off

A/C could be anything... Since that's a add-on knee knocker, you might want to look at a rotary Sanden (or Sanden clone) compressor.

I have to comment on the color change. Full disclosure, I love black cars and I also have sworn off them for the sake of my sanity. Ever own a black car? The upkeep is insane. You might as well keep a microfiber towel and detail spray handy at all times. I would bet you guys get a lot of that same yellow pollen that we get here (I'm near Syracuse, NY) and you can start at one end of the car, get it all wiped down and then the pollen makes it a mess before you can put your detail stuff away. A color change to black is also going to be expensive if done correctly. I'll bet $20K USD for a good job. I still love black cars though...

Since this is you first restoration, that car doesn't look like it needs much. My advice FWIW.... Get the brakes working and whatever it need to be safe and then drive it a while. Have some fun with it first. Then take on small tasks that won't take it off the road for more than a day. You'll be much happier with a driving car that might not be quite perfect than you will with a car that's all apart and sitting in the garage.
I couldn't agree more.

Taking on a restoration and not knowing what brakes you have sounds a liitte strange, but fingers crossed and good luck. Nice car with cool options!

Taking on a restoration and not knowing what brakes you have sounds a liitte strange, but fingers crossed and good luck. Nice car with cool options!
What is so strange about learning, yesterday I didn’t no what brakes I had and know I know , I had the car for 12 hour give me time to get to know her

Nice car! I might kinda wish it was a different color if it was mine but I wouldn’t change a thing cosmetically on this one.
Those Budd disc brakes work crazy good so hopefully they’re in good working order and all you need to do is get the proper master.
Just search for a stock replacement for any ‘67/8 disc brake equipped Chrysler/C-body or Imperial. Those use the same brakes with factory dual resevoir.

Nice car! I might kinda wish it was a different color if it was mine but I wouldn’t change a thing cosmetically on this one.
Those Budd disc brakes work crazy good so hopefully they’re in good working order and all you need to do is get the proper master.
Just search for a stock replacement for any ‘67/8 disc brake equipped Chrysler/C-body or Imperial. Those use the same brakes with factory dual resevoir.
Thank you very much @detmatt great infos

What a beautiful and nicely equipped car!

Your car has front discs and rear drums. Rare, and really good!

I can help with direction for your disc brake system. The new master cylinder you bought is not correct - you need a dual reservoir DISC brake master cylinder. If you've not installed it, you should be able to do an exchange. All the rest of the brake components can be rebuilt or replaced if required, but have them checked out first by a competant mechanic. You have an excellent braking system.

Your AC compressor is an aftermarket YORK compressor, often seen in Fords. If it was working well up to now, it can be rebuilt, or replaced. No need to go to the added expense of putting in another different unit, as that would require new brackets etc.

I am of the mindset of "rebuild or replace what's there rather than remove and replace with different" for most of the stuff on your car, except you really should upgrade the master cylinder as you're already doing, just with the proper one!

I see you're in Canada - as am I.

Message me and I can help.

Last edited:
Here is what I have I think you are right brake disk in the front and drum in the back is that standard for the car ?

View attachment 675517

View attachment 675518

I can't believe I missed the fact you have disc brakes. . . When I looked at your under-hood photo, I noticed the disc brake dual diaphragm booster, but ignored it since you started the discussion saying you wanted to convert to disc brakes. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

What a beautiful and nicely equipped car!

Your car has front discs and rear drums. Rare, and really good!

I can help with direction for your disc brake system. The new master cylinder you bought is not correct - you need a dual reservoir DISC brake master cylinder. If you've not installed it, you should be able to do an exchange. All the rest of the brake components can be rebuilt or replaced if required, but have them checked out first by a competant mechanic. You have an excellent braking system.

Your AC compressor is an aftermarket YORK compressor, often seen in Fords. If it was working well up to now, it can be rebuilt, or replaced. No need to go to the added expense of putting in another different unit, as that would require new brackets etc.

I am of the mindset of "rebuild or replace what's there rather than remove and replace with different" for most of the stuff on your car, except you really should upgrade the master cylinder as you're already doing, just with the proper one!

I see you're in Canada - as am I.

Message me and I can help.
Thanks @Ross Wooldridge for the info I am in the process of returning the master cylinder know that I know that it need the one for brake disks but is the there one for mix ? Like 2 fluid compartments of different size or I just get one for disk whit 2 compartment of the same size even though I have disk in front (for sure) and drums in back ( it seems) ?

I can't believe I missed the fact you have disc brakes. . . When I looked at your under-hood photo, I noticed the disc brake dual diaphragm booster, but ignored it since you started the discussion saying you wanted to convert to disc brakes. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
It’s ok I am just going to return the master and get the right one it’s part of my learning experience lol

You're doing well.

Yes, the correct master cylinder will be for a front disc/rear drum system.

There will be other safety related things you may wish to do that we can help you with.

The first one is an electrical safety upgrade, and it is to bypass how the electrical gets from the battery to your ampere gauge on the dash and back out to the dash. The conndctors arrangement is a poor design that does not age well, and poses a fire risk.

You can also improve your headlight system both for its electrical safety and the performance of the system with relays and as part of the bypass noted above.

You need to have a mechanic check the rubber steering column coupler - it can degrade and need replacing, or it can fail. Parts are available.

We can help.

Back