66 Polara Commercial

Fishfan

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has posted vintage TV spots here before but I work in advertising so I'm fascinated with ad copy. Here's one I found on youtube for the 66 Polara, my car. I guess you can say I joined the Dodge Rebellion 38 years late.

The script, which I transcribed is below.

Open on woman walking through wooded area. She’s holding an old-fashioned bomb, sticks of dynamite with a timer on it.

Woman (Surprised): Oh! Isn’t it alarming, uh, people who want big car comfort and think they can’t afford it? Wake up, for just a little a little more move way up. Join the Dodge rebellion.

SFX: Alarm Ringing

Woman throws bomb, it explodes.

Cut to footage of 1966 Dodge Polara on the road, on the beach, etc.

AVO: Time to join the big time. ’66 Dodge Polara leaves the smaller cars standing there, sweeps away the notion that big cars have to be stodgy, clumsy, costly.

’66 Dodge Polara: response, greased lightning. The sky’s the limit. Down with the high price of luxury. Up with ’66 Dodge Polara. Priced to steal the thunder from all comers.

Cut back to woman in smoldering woods.

Woman (pointing to camera): The Dodge rebellion wants you!

Last edited by a moderator:
If they were smart they rolled down the window and put a fake one in it's place.

Boch started out as a Rambler dealer. That building is still there.

show_image.php

Heres one for the 66 Polara 500 convertible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5-cnjvc9Z4

and heres one for the 66 Monaco 500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX3q-RVoCo0

Interesting how some spots were color that year and some were black and white. I wonder what went into the decision making. I would imagine the color stock and processing was much more expensive. Most people probably still had black and white sets. So I guess they dipped their toes in the color pool?

Interesting how some spots were color that year and some were black and white. I wonder what went into the decision making. I would imagine the color stock and processing was much more expensive. Most people probably still had black and white sets. So I guess they dipped their toes in the color pool?

All of that plus everything was on 16mm film. No video tape yet. So that meant making a few hundred if not more copies from the master neg and distributing them to every TV station from the bigtimes to BugTussle Nowhere. And once the TV station had fulfilled its contract to run the commercial "X" number of times, then it went into the round file, unless the ad agency was prepared to eat the cost of having it shipped back. Same thing with print ads. Most of the colour print ads would have run in the buff books plus whatever mags the "client" and the "agency" felt catered to the target market for the car. Ad proofs were done on giant sheets of paper, much larger than the mag they ran in, which allowed the mag printer to crop it to fit their needs. And the agency work that went into preparing both commercials and print ads was enormous.

Back