'67 Dodge Polara Disc Brake Conversion

Mike Byrne

Reaction score
Looking to buy a 1967 Dodge Polar with brake booster and dual MC. New drum brakes all the way around. Is the stopping power with this set-up good enough for a Sunday driver? I assume the disc conversion would be about 1K and I am not ready for that expense.

Looking to buy a 1967 Dodge Polar with brake booster and dual MC. New drum brakes all the way around. Is the stopping power with this set-up good enough for a Sunday driver? I assume the disc conversion would be about 1K and I am not ready for that expense.

As long as your Sunday drives are not 1/4 mile at a time your drum brakes are more than adequate. We drove these cars with drum brakes when they were new and the brakes will work fine as long as they are properly maintained. The main advantage of Disc brakes is that they do not overheat and fade on repeated hard stops or going down long steep down grades. Discs are also nice if you are pulling a trailer. Otherwise you should be fine with the stock drums.

Dave

As long as your Sunday drives are not 1/4 mile at a time your drum brakes are more than adequate. We drove these cars with drum brakes when they were new and the brakes will work fine as long as they are properly maintained. The main advantage of Disc brakes is that they do not overheat and fade on repeated hard stops or going down long steep down grades. Discs are also nice if you are pulling a trailer. Otherwise you should be fine with the stock drums.

Dave

7d1025343c5bf8f1ef086c3639c7c0abe4f93585bcfeaf105d3577f2880d11e8.jpg

I love my disc conversion, but those drums are just fine. I see you are in Kansas City, if memory serves me correctly a relatively flat city, so no real challenge for the drums.

I love my disc conversion, but those drums are just fine. I see you are in Kansas City, if memory serves me correctly a relatively flat city, so no real challenge for the drums.
Good to hear! Had an A-Body Valiant and paid for the disc conversion and got very little safety improvement Thanks

Good to hear! Had an A-Body Valiant and paid for the disc conversion and got very little safety improvement Thanks
I have the Disc-o-tech article and parts for my Dart, but that might go quicker than the Polara, which does just fine with drums.

Back