'67 or '68 Newport....Which do you Prefer?

I've learned just how many differences there are. When I had my first 68 NYer I came across a 67 in a salvage yard and grabbed the center of the steering wheel off of it. I liked it better than the big padded one that was on my car.

Tough call but I'd go with the 68, always looked cleaner to me. For what its worth though, my all time of those is the 67 300, particularly the convertible.

IMG_00000422.jpg
IMG_00000422.jpg
I agree!
I'm not ashamed to say that in my ideal fantasy world, I'd choose a 68 67 NY Fast Top over any of them.

00a0a_hnsvnt0on1m_600x450-jpg.jpg

3fffb503cf06a24cf25bf9a9a5ad1ce8.jpg

Bear in mind these comments are preferences...the 67s are good looking, but my preference is 68 all the way. Styling cue preferences:

To me cars have "faces"; and I like it when a car "looks" at me. The 68 started the "angry eyes" motif that carried through to 70's which I really like. The 67 looks bug eyed or surprised in comparison. I also really find that the rounded square bezels around the headlights on the 68 NY accentuates the looks. Probably why I prefer the NY.

Tail lights recessed into a cove across the rear seems to me to be a more coherent design. This is even better on the 68 NY that simulated tail lights across the back of the car.

They were both good. Back in college days you could put 4 half kegs in the trunk using a 20lb bag of ice on each side as chalks and close the lid!!!!!

Love both years but depends on the model since the thread veered away from just the Newports

To the original question, sorry, but my answer is... neither. Those are two years I just do not like. Give me a '65-6, or a '69-70 any day. I've always thought those two ears to be just ugly for Chrysler. Now, the '67 Imperial... oh yes!!! But, I've never liked the grill of the '68 Imp.

Even so, there is a '68 New Yorker 4-door hardtop for sale right here in Chico. It's a beautiful bronze color with black vinyl top. I've been meaning to get by and take pictures and get the price. Sorry I have not done that. Saw the car again yesterday!

To the original question, sorry, but my answer is... neither. Those are two years I just do not like. Give me a '65-6, or a '69-70 any day. I've always thought those two ears to be just ugly for Chrysler. Now, the '67 Imperial... oh yes!!! But, I've never liked the grill of the '68 Imp.

Even so, there is a '68 New Yorker 4-door hardtop for sale right here in Chico. It's a beautiful bronze color with black vinyl top. I've been meaning to get by and take pictures and get the price. Sorry I have not done that. Saw the car again yesterday!

Not that I'd buy it, but I wouldn't mind looking at the pictures.

Personally I would rank my top 10 choices of the 67-68 Chryslers like this:
1: 68 300 convertible (love the tail lights and the hidden headlights)
2: 67 300 2 door (for some reason the two door roof looks best with the pointy rear quarters)
3: 68 300 4 door hardtop (best looking front and rear ends and I like the 68 4 door hardtop roof)
4: 68 Town and Country wagon (put chrome magnums on it and its Chrysler's best looking wagon ever this side of a 60 hardtop Town and Country)
5: 67 NY 4 door hardtop (good looking front and rear and it works with the formal 67 style 4 door hardtop roof)
6: 68 Newport convertible (preferably with the optional wood paneling)
7: 67 300 convertible (I like convertibles and the pointy rear quarters look almost as good on the drop top as the 2 door hardtop)
8: 68 300 2 door hardtop (the two door hardtop roof doesn't look as good on the 68 as it does on the 67 but still love the grille and tail lights
9: 67 New Yorker 2 door hardtop (not a big fan of the 2 door fastop roof but they didn't make a 67 NY convertible)
10: 68 Newport 4 door hardtop (not as nice as the 68 300 4 door hardtop but I do like the 68 4 door hardtop roofline better than the 2 door hardtop except on the 67 300)

I guess no 67 Newports made my list. I guess I just don't like the 67 Newport grille. I do like the tail lights though. What makes it harder is that I don't like any of the 67 roof lines on the 67 Newport (other than the convertible). I like the 68 Newport & 300 4 door hardtop roofline, and I like the 2 door hardtop roofline on the 67 300. The boxy 67 4 door hardtop roofline looks good on the 67 New Yorker but not on anything else in my eyes. Forced to choose, I will take the two door hardtop roof on the 68 300 and 67 New Yorker but I really think it only looks good on the 67 300.
Going further, I don't like any of the 67 C body Plymouths or Dodges except the convertibles and wagons, with the one exception of the 67 VIP 4 door hardtop which uses a roof line adapted by Dodge and Chrysler in 68. As for the 68 C body Plymouths and Dodges, I like the convertibles, 4 door hardtops and wagons but not the post sedans or two door fastops. I do like the 68 Fury 2 door hardtop with the narrow C-pillars and I actually believe that roof looks better on the 68 Sport Fury than it did where it originated on the 66 300 2 door hardtop.

Last edited:
image.jpg
View attachment 69250 View attachment 69251 View attachment 69252 View attachment 69253 Which years styling do you guys like better? I kind of like the '67 tail better and I'm split on the nose of the 2 years.'67 nose has sort of old-school presidential limo vibe to it....'68 much cleaner and more modern.
I have the '67, but it feels much less modern than the '68. I have old Forward Look floor mats in the '67 and it seems right, but that would never fly in the '68.

Back