'68 300 Stock Rims, wider tires

mgm1986

Reaction score
Howdy all, hope you're having a great month!

I am planning to replace the tires on my '68 300, currently running 225/75R15 at all four corners on stock rims (maybe not stock at 15" but they have the Chrysler cover I want to keep).

I would like to keep the same rims and go with wider tires like a 235/75R15. Does anyone know if this will work with these rims? If so, any issues with rubbing without making any other changes?

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Should be zero issue. I run 235/75/15 on the front of my 66 300 with plenty of clearance. The tire will also be fine on any stock rim, be it 6”, 6.5”, or 7” wide.
Travis..

Awesome. I like the look of a wider tire but I also like the rims I have. I was concerned the rear wheels might rub against the fender skirts. Thank you both for your expertise!

I put P245/70R-14 BFG Advantage TAs (from back in the middle 1980s) on '65 Chrysler wagon 14x6.5" wheels on my '67 Newport. No issues anywhere! Other than I had to jack the rear end up by the center of the rear axle and put the jack stands just in front of the rear wheels, in the "jacking location" there. The tires could be jostled and angled enough to get them past the quarter panel and brake drum (11x2.5" drums), but it just took a bit to get it done. 11x3 rear drums might require the lower shock mounts to be undone, though, to let the axle drop down a bit more, it seems.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I am planning to replace the tires on my '68 300, currently running 225/75R15 at all four corners on stock rims (maybe not stock at 15" but they have the Chrysler cover I want to keep).

I would like to keep the same rims and go with wider tires like a 235/75R15. Does anyone know if this will work with these rims? If so, any issues with rubbing without making any other changes?
That's only about 3/8" wider.

Back