68 Fury, A/C Compressor mod yes or no?

HC works better than R-134A
I don't understand what HC is used in that context.
Just Duracool or all of the R134A substitutes.
And I don't understand whey they are better and why doesn't any cooling system, (house, cars, appliances, etc.) come with it.

This stuff is not my forté.

Currently, there are 3 refrigerant choices I know of: R-12, HC, and R-134A. HC & R-12 work about the same (HC slightly better), and both are better than R-134A. Better means lower max pressure and more efficient. I understand that home refrigerators in Europe have used HC refrigerant for many years. I also wonder why no new cars come with it. Probably due to perceptions, which are hard to change and expensive to overcome. Similar question for coolant like Evans Waterless. I recall that GM did ship cars (Corvette?) with such a coolant years ago, but it confused people. I think many motorcycles come with DOT 5 (silicone) brake fluid, so there are occasional advances.

If you are going to make new hoses I have a crimping tool you are welcomed to use. Not too many places here that still bubble crimp, and I don't think we are too far away from each other. I would highly recommend the triple pass condenser. There are a couple of AC supply places where you can purchase them in the DFW area that are fairly inexpensive. You need to make sure that the evaporator core is clean and has no oil residue from the R12 system if you are converting. Also use a 4 port heater control valve to keep any extra heat out of the heater/AC box for max cooling. There is a tech article that I will try to find that allows your fan output speed to increase by about 40% on the highest setting only. It is currently restricted by the fan resistor/ old technology, and the increased speed has no adverse effects on the blower motor. I will look for the article and post it here when I find it. You can also wire in a high pressure cut off switch so if you do decide to remove the discharge valve it should help keep the system from icings up.

Back