727 Kick down issue.

Sixpactogo

Reaction score
I have a new development with my 65 Sport Fury. It seems to shift properly up through the gears and does not slip. Now if I am cruising at say 50 mph, and floor it to kick in the passing gear, it doesn't kick down into a lower gear. It seems to go into neutral until I let up then it goes back into 3rd gear. Anyone ever ran into that situation before? First time for me. Only thing I changed was my pan gasket was leaking and I had a new deep pan with a drain plug in it. I added the spacer and a new filter and put it back together. I can't see how that could have caused my issue. Is it an adjustment issue?

To me, that sounds like your 2nd gear band is slipping, it works OK at moderate throttle, but at WOT it slips.it could be out of adjustment or your fluid level is low. make sure to check the level in neutral
My$.02

Did you put a gasket between the filter extension and valve body?

Did you check the ATF idling in neutral? Not park. Did you check it again after driving?

Did you put a gasket between the filter extension and valve body?

Did you check the ATF idling in neutral? Not park. Did you check it again after driving?
Now that I think about it, there is an O ring that goes between the extension and valve body. I was sure I put it in but maybe it slipped out of place. That is starting to make sense why it is acting up. Guess I will be dropping the pan again. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
To me, that sounds like your 2nd gear band is slipping, it works OK at moderate throttle, but at WOT it slips.it could be out of adjustment or your fluid level is low. make sure to check the level in neutral
My$.02
It shifts up fine at moderate throttle. Only time I have noticed any issue is last week-end I was passing a slow moving car on a 2 lane highway and when it went to passing gear, it went into neutral. When I lifted, it went back into gear. I'm going to check the fluid level again. Have not done so since I installed the new pan and filter.

Just now checked the fluid level. Right on the full mark hot and in neutral. Only thing I can think of now is what 413 mentioned about the gasket above the extension. It must have slipped out of place. That is the only thing that makes sense to me. I will report what I find in the next few days. Got other irons in the fire for tomorrow.

It shifts up fine at moderate throttle. Only time I have noticed any issue is last week-end I was passing a slow moving car on a 2 lane highway and when it went to passing gear, it went into neutral. When I lifted, it went back into gear. I'm going to check the fluid level again. Have not done so since I installed the new pan and filter.

ALWAYS CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL AFTER DOING ANYTHING TO THE TRANNY PAN!!! You're WAY low on fluid. I suspect the TC is starved. Follow the FSM:

Warm the engine up to running temp in NEUTRAL, or, better yet, Drive with the parking brake fully engaged and a couple chocks up front. THEN, check your fluid level. Make sure you're on level ground when so doing.

Back