727 Missing a click

Tony Mopar

Reaction score
Got a strange problem here:

When installing a new B&M shifter + cable on my 727 TF, the transmissing only has 4 clicks moving the gear selector, when it suppose to have 5 right? 1-> 2 -> D -> N-> R -> P. Its not a cable or bracket issue, because when I remove the cable completly, and just have the gear selector bracket attached, i'm counting 4 clicks, instead of five....

The cable fits just fine. no matter from which point I start to adjust the cable: When I adjust the cable in low or first gear, it shifts all the way up the the R position. And if I start on P, it shifts flawlessly to second gear. But either way, it just misses a click - gear.... The gear selector bracket can be only installed in one position, so preventing movement just because the bracket got stuck or something, thats not the case.

Also, I'm not sure which gear position im missing now: is is the P or 1? Are there ways to determine that?

Any suggestions?

Its a 383 with a 727, there is no driveshaft attached as I recently did an engine swap to this 383.

IMG_7874.JPG

IMG_7875.JPG

Several years ago I installed a B&M on a 85 Monte Carlo SS. Same problem. I was doing it for a friend, we worked on that thing for an hour trying to figure it out. Never could, He bought the shifter at a swap meet, so there was no taking it back. We double checked the PN with B&M's site and all looked correct. In the end he did without 1st gear.

Several years ago I installed a B&M on a 85 Monte Carlo SS. Same problem. I was doing it for a friend, we worked on that thing for an hour trying to figure it out. Never could, He bought the shifter at a swap meet, so there was no taking it back. We double checked the PN with B&M's site and all looked correct. In the end he did without 1st gear.
Try turning the tranny output shaft. Sometimes wont go into park unless moved a bit to engage Lever into park gear.

Missboxed Powerglide shifter?

Kevin
In drag racing, doing a burnout in "1"/"L" can kill the sprag clutch, so advisable to use another forward gear position for that. To me, setting "P" and "D" would be more important. Modify the governor so shifts occur on cue, when needed, so "Put it in D" and go.

Is there a shift gate in the shifter or is it just relying upon the rooster comb in the trans for the detents?

CBODY67

If it's truly new as stated , there are instructions as to which shift gate to convert it to. Chrysler 727 is what you're looking for. And it won't necessarily click into park without turning the drive shaft to line up the park pawl.
In 1st gear the 727 applies the low band to help the sprag hold.
it's burnouts in drive, where the trans not shifted out of 1st yet and let off the gas, that rolls the sprag over. Always do burnouts starting in low range and work your way up

Back