Chrysler Big Block redline??

I would check the accuracy of the tach on the 6500rpm stock 440. There wasn't an OEM 440 that would spin that high. In my experience by 6k rpm a stock 440hp is getting into serious valve float.
I cant speak to his 440 but on my 383 the tach and Fitech ECU agree with each other. I also can't promise that mine has never got a set of springs put in it. I got it with 162k on it. You lose compression and things start making really bad sounds a little past 7k.

I cant speak to his 440 but on my 383 the tach and Fitech ECU agree with each other. I also can't promise that mine has never got a set of springs put in it. I got it with 162k on it. You lose compression and things start making really bad sounds a little past 7k.

I guess you guys just have really amazing engines compared to the ones that I have owned over the years. I have an engine with a .750 lift roller cam that peaks at 7100. Maybe I should have stuck with the factory hydraulic cam LOL.

I guess you guys just have really amazing engines compared to the ones that I have owned over the years. I have an engine with a .750 lift roller cam that peaks at 7100. Maybe I should have stuck with the factory hydraulic cam LOL.
Just let your exhaust leak more like mine (So you can't hear the bad sounds) and don't be afraid of blowing it up. I've been abusing mine for over a decade now and still drove it across the country and back last month. Other than brushing 240 degrees while stuck in traffic it did great.

Oh I got a lot of pushback way back in the day even with the sparse Mopar owners that I met, my first PK21 with the 440 6bbl one of the first accessories I install was a brand new Stewart Warner electronic tach, mounted on the A-pillar right by the spotlight and I didn't just stuff it in there, I made a aluminum bracket so it wouldn't go flying. First tire roasting session was left foot hard on the brake, trans in low and foot to the floor, speedometer needle straight up at 60mph and tach at 6,500 rpm... and held it there for a massive cloud of smoke (dumb kid) LOL Then when I was swapping out the 6bbl setup for a small 440 Holley setup I needed a 4bbl cold air oval cleaner like the 6bbl had. Go to want AD's and find one, slep on down to this guy's garage after work grab the air cleaner then he had a large box of dash gauges and wiring harness and asked if I was interested in it, saw it was a Cuda Rallye dash setup 150 mph gauge, wood trim panel, wiring and all switches, 50 bucks and I hauled it away only to just recently realize that the 6.5k redline tach in the cluster is a 440 6bbl & Hemi only item (and maybe AAR). I used the 6.5k redline tach as confirmation that 440's can do 6.5k and got back talk "that's a small block tach" Come to view a live Mecum Auction with the French 1971 Hemi Cuda and it has a 6.5k redline tach. (see below)

View attachment 673278

And (I think) same auction a 1971 Plymouth AAR Cuda Tach appears to be 6.5k (not best picture)

View attachment 673279

Standard 5.5k Tach with 7k limit.

View attachment 673280

The only thing I remember about the tack in my all 100% stock 1970 440-six pack Super Bee is that if I left it in D it would shift at 5200 on the tack. But the motor wanted to be manually shifted at 7200 on the tack. All the power was between 5000 and 7200 on "that" tack. Apparently, the secondary carbs were opening late OR the tack was lying. Or both.

Back