76 D200 W.I.W.?

In Jersey, anything older than '97 no longer has to go through state inspection, let alone pollution test. Register, insure and drive.

that a sweet p/u ride . looks like new , some one took very nice care with it . great truck . 76 must be smogged here in calif every two years . to bad it wasn't a 75 . thats the last smog free year here . still a great ride .

So, did you buy it, yet? :poke:
The plan was to drive up last Friday to investigate, but we both forgot about the long weekend. He called me to reschedule. New plans made and the hotel room is booked. Details as they happen.

Engine compartment shot.

IMG_1048.jpg

How was that 5 hour drive Pete? Everything go as planned? Critter and I wanted to come along but Critter has a political rally to fire up tomorrow at city hall and I only get a half century party once..:)
Drive was good. Just hangin' at the hotel. Off to see it first thing in the AM. Half century?

Drive was good. Just hangin' at the hotel. Off to see it first thing in the AM. Half century?
The old fart is turning 50...

Good luck with your purchase/road trip. I still can't get over how much cool old iron you guys find up there.:canada:

It is head scratching
Do you think maybe it's just too cold for rust? Too north for UV rays to make it there at full strength? Or do those guy's know something we don't about preservation?:confused:

I have a 96 Ram 2wd that I bought new that has only. Been used in the winter twice. And that truck, with the long wheelbase I bet is the same reason. In 1" of snow you could lean on the hood and it would be stuck. Also the owner (s) of that thing must have greatly cared about it, and not put it through the salt and calcium.
Also, many of the old cars still around were bought new by a retiree and they didn't have to or want to go out in bad weather. Estate sales are the best fishing for these gems.

I have a 96 Ram 2wd that I bought new that has only. Been used in the winter twice. And that truck, with the long wheelbase I bet is the same reason. In 1" of snow you could lean on the hood and it would be stuck. Also the owner (s) of that thing must have greatly cared about it, and not put it through the salt and calcium.
Also, many of the old cars still around were bought new by a retiree and they didn't have to or want to go out in bad weather. Estate sales are the best fishing for these gems.

Back in the 80s, I knew several older folks who bought a Formal and tucked it away for years thinking they had an investment... "last of the big Chryslers" and crap like that. Your theory would work for a number of older cars, but as to the appeal when they passed... I knew a fella with a couple of pristine 6 cylinder Mavericks, a "his and hers" set... I bet they ended up crushed.

and they now have a 25 hundred dollar car.
And they now would be three digits in age or are gone... The folks who owned the first gas station I worked at had a dark green/white top and interior 78 NYB they may have put 5 digits on the odometer of, but only barely. I remember them both talking about it alot after I got my 1st 74 Imperial in green (thye only had put 4 digits at that time). I spoke with their son last year before Carlisle, the car was sold to settle the estate when they passed. I was told many times about what a valuable car it was going to become one day, I only ever got to see it once from a distance when the garage door was open at their house. I think it's one its thrid owner and was sold under 5 digits.

Most cases I heard about the car after the children got it and used it for a few winters so their brand new turdwagon didn't rust. Curbside parking and backyard storage too, typical 10-20 year old car treatment. There was one guy with a black Imperial who was a second owner preservationist, I don't know what happened to him or that car... which was very clean. When I left PA in the early 90s he was still a customer but I was in a different location.

Oh well, it's back home with all my cheques still in my pocket. He has my number if the "other interested party" should decide to not want it. The truck is not so special that I just have to have it, and the "just to let you know, I have someone else interested" ploy doesn't work on me. Besides, he wasn't prepared to budge on his asking price. Not actively looking, but who knows what will turn up next.

Back