78 NYB Holley Sniper install.. the end of my lean burn fun

I like that idea but will it fit?
Yes.

It's the style of the flat lids used from 1970 thru late 80s, that came in 2 sizes. Large dia and small dia.
There might be a 3rd style, used on some /6 (truck and van?), that is small dia but isn't quite as flat. But I've only seen those in pics, so I am unsure.
I've not yet encountered a large-lid of this flat-type that didn't interchange perfectly based on dia, fitting from 440TNT to 360-2 to 318-4 (and others, of course).

Most of the interchange details happen in the base/housing - with throat size being the major one.
The base interchangability is based on 4-1/2" throat or 5-1/8". So a 360-2 air cleaner can fit a 67-older factory AFB, because the early 4-barrel and the larger 2-barrel are both 4-1/2".

And I believe there are only 2 filters used for all the large-lid 70s car air cleaners - a shorter one and a taller one.
Ironically, the T-code 440s use a taller housing and filter than the HP 440s. The dual snorkel housing always gets the shorter filter.
Which makes me believe it was designed for the lower hoods of the E-bodies, and then tossed on C-bodies when needed (which makes economic sense).

Good print… will need a bit of epoxy at the inside corner but otherwise fine.

AC73E839-A6AC-4BE7-B529-250E64898D01.jpeg

Something to do this weekend!

Obviously the 3d-print method is near-sorted and reproducible.
But as I look at the shape, I'd love to see that as a thermoformed piece, from 3/16" or 1/4" ABS, with the texture on the visible surface.
And the form would be relatively simple to produce with simple woodworking construction - no CNC needed.
The hurdle is the thermoforming process.

Although home-brew methods of that are well-documented, the 3D print method is here and RTG.
And so we move on.

Test fit before finishing…..

009D2E68-1824-4FF8-B293-BCC25974170B.jpeg

7DDCEE55-760B-483F-BAE8-E8CC4773B714.jpeg

7A0E9417-65E8-4CE0-9356-2DF3E9C66D31.jpeg

Top flange is about 1/8” proud of the underlying trunk floor. It’s not worth it to redo or pounding up the floor to meet it. I intend to use a foam gasket. That should get me a soundproof airtight seal.
06092CB6-179D-40E8-98A3-76DD95574771.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe @angus66 has an opinion…
I left it in the stock setup. Without getting into numbers, for a 46 year-old car with a smog era 400 in it - it’s more efficient than it has any right to be. And very reliable. If I drive it like an adult - it’s great. If I get pissy with other cars on the highway passing me just because I’m in an old car (even though I’m doing ten-over the limit) then my mileage suffers. I don’t mess with it. I make sure I have no fuel or vacuum leaks and just drive. Just took Thelma out of storage yesterday and did Red Deer to Calgary and she ran like a dream.

How are you liking the EFI drive?
Working on it.

Start up is great! Cold or warm. Usually lights off on first spin.

Tip in is just a bit weak.
Part throttle is wonderful!
Full throttle is meh…

Still dialing it in.

Getting better.

Wash tween requires attention to throttle for IAC as it will often change Up or down depending on tweak.

All fun!

Last edited:
On another note…. Install is now complete.

650956E8-6763-4266-9FD4-B6B8AF54D26A.jpeg

Fuel pump access cover installed
C543B829-A5D5-4CF2-8FFE-FFE4DA89E0DB.jpeg

Full size spare to replace collapsible spare installed. Used wheel block to relieve any pressure in the cover. Need to have a cover made for spare in black loop carpet. Trim shop is on it.

Freddy and his bride at All in Leather are the best!

Last edited:
On another note…. Instal is now complete.

View attachment 599220
Fuel pump access cover installed
View attachment 599222
Full size spare to replace collapsible spare installed. Used wheel block to relieve any pressure in the cover. Need to have a cover made for spare in black loop carpet. Trim shop is on it.

Freddy and his bride at All in Leather are the best!
If you need a template let me know, I can send you my cover if needed..

@73 T&C
I re-read this whole thing last night, for some reason I cannot remember this AM.
Saw something in a picture that I didn't notice before - those rocker arms.

What brand are they, what ratio, how well did they install (the geometry of roller travel on valvestem), any problems with them?

Back