Added the Auto Pilot Linkage...now what?

Ambush

Reaction score
So friends, I recently got the linkage for my Auto Pilot, ( mine was missing ) and attached it. For my '65 Imperial Crown at least, the connection at the Auto Pilot ( AP ) is at the lower arm of the spring coil, what the FSM call's the "exterior arm". Which apparently is not where it usually connects, even the FSM show the connection at the upper arm by the stud. SO as many of you know the linkage runs from the AP spring dial, down to the gas pedal pivot arm ( not sure of the proper names for these 2 connection points, but I figure you know what's what ).

On my car the pivot arm PULLS back, when you press on the gas pedal. So with the AP linkage being there, when I push on the gas pedal it pulls back on the pivot arm, which pulls the linkage, that then pulls the spring dial in a clockwise-manor. This direction compresses the spring, so naturally there's resistance because pressing on the gas pedal is ultimately pulling against the spring. What I'm trying to figure out is, with the car off, is it normal to feel that added resistance of the linkage pulling and compressing the AP spring in the gas pedal, when I press down? Before the linkage was connected, I'm used to being able to quickly tap the gas pedal to the floor w/out resistance ( on occasion ) and close the choke for doing cold starts. Now with the linkage there, the gas pedal travels just an inch, then I feel the resistance. I could probably apply more pressure to move it further past the resistance, but I stopped when I felt the resistance because I wasn't sure if it was right, and didn't want to damage anything by forcing it further. All this is with the car NOT running. Anyway, I've been told from a reputable forum member here, ( Ross Wooldridge) that he didn't think that was right, that the gas pedal should not be hindered, even w/ the linkage. He said I should have no higher than normal resistance at the gas pedal with the car off, ...But he was basing that on his car and how it behaves for him ... which is a '66 Chrysler ( not sure of the make ).

So I say all that in the hope that someone with an Imperial like mine, with a working Auto Pilot, can clear things up about what is to be expected in terms of the gas pedal and what amount ( if any ) of extra resistance should one experience? ...with the car not running. Frankly, with how this all moves and connects, I can't see how there wouldn't be any extra resistance on the gas pedal ...but I'm new to all this so, what do I know :) Anyway if somebody can shed some light on this for me, and I would appreciate anything you can add.

Thanks,
R

Yes, he's been a great help to me on this project. He thinks ( and may be right ) that I shouldn't have any added resistance on the gas pedal, because that's how it is on his car, but I don't think his is an Imperial ...and so maybe it's diff for me. Just looking for a viewpoint from another Imperial owner w/ Auto Pilot ( obviously ).

Always happy to help! @detmatt may have insight here.

Just to clarify - on my car, there is no appreciable extra resistance from normal in pressing the gas pedal with the auto pilot on or off (not engaged) until the car reaches the preset speed on the dash dial. By design that is the speed minder function of the auto pilot.

The only time you should feel resistance against the gas pedal is when the car reaches the speed preset on the Autopilot dash dial.

 It's my belief that something is out of adjustment (linkage) or broken (possibly within the autopilot's servo) on your car if you are feeling resistance against the gas pedal being pressed down.

You say this occurs even when the car's not running. This may be why the linkage was missing in the first place.

Hey! I may have no problems. So I remembered that when I first had my Dad push on the gas pedal ( w/ the car not running )and he said he could feel the linkage to the AP resist him, and he could only push down an inch or 2. Well at the time we did NOT have the choke and throttle at the carb in the proper positions. But since that time, we've attached the linkage and eye-balled the adjustment WITH the choke off and carb in the idle position. I have not pushed on the gas pedal since that first time. SO I said to myself maybe just give it go and see what I feel at the pedal now. Well it operated just as it always does, I felt no resistance beyond usual. My dad was watching to see if the linkage was pulling on the spring at the AP and looking to see if the throttle at the carb would close as i pressed the pedal. YES on both counts. I think it's time for a road test.

So if I'm reading my AP operations instructions correctly, if I simply turn the control to any number( with the button in ), then the system will function as a "speed minder" and I should feel resistance on the gas pedal as I come to the set speed number ( assuming it's calibrated right ). If I want it to maintain a set speed automatically, then I need to choose a number then pull out the button, or do I accelerate to the speed I want and then pull out the button? Is the number dial only for the speed minding, or do I also need to use it to choose my speed for setting the auto function?

I guess I'll soon see if this old AP is going to work ....cautiously excited!

Excellent news!

Yes to your 1st question, and yes, set the speed on the dial, pull the switch out and accellerate to speed.

If the servo is working OK, then you should feel it take over.

To set the linkage, loosen the nut on the shaft where it meets the fork. Turn ignition on and set the dial on the autopilot to 9. Lengthen the two shafts apart until resistance is felt, then tighten the nut. See how that works for now.

There is a technique for adjusting all the linkages. Loosen carb, kickdown, autopilot, put a bare braising rod through the three holes in the hinge on the cowl, then set the linkages all at once.

Back