Aftermarket Radiator

azblackhemi

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My 69 Monaco is having overheating issues. Now granted it was 110 when it overheated but it still shouldn't. I've replaced the thermostat, fan clutch and flushed and put in new coolant. I've set the timing to spec and even richened up the carb a bit. The radiator seems to have good flow and it has about a 40 degree split top to bottom yet stll gets hot. It is an aftermarket radiator so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. What is you alls experience with non oem radiators? Not sure of the brand but here's a picture of the top tank and the tag with a logo. Does anyone recognize the logo?
20240718_174134.jpg
20240718_174246.jpg

Searching the 8010332 part number comes up with APDI or Automotive Parts Distribution International. This is what I could find without spending a ton of time on it. https://www.aftermarketnews.com/agi...-automotive-parts-distribution-international/

The 332 number jives with Spectrum's radiator for a C-body, and it looks like the Spectrum in my car. I would not be surprised if it's a Spectrum radiator with a APDI sticker.

I know Spectrum is a popular brand, what is everyone's experience with them?
Searching the 8010332 part number comes up with APDI or Automotive Parts Distribution International. This is what I could find without spending a ton of time on it. https://www.aftermarketnews.com/agi...-automotive-parts-distribution-international/

The 332 number jives with Spectrum's radiator for a C-body, and it looks like the Spectrum in my car. I would not be surprised if it's a Spectrum radiator with a APDI sticker.

I know Spectrum is a popular brand, what is everyone's experience with them?
My experience has been good. My car tends to run a little warm with the AC and 90+ weather (like this past weekend's trip to Carlisle and back) but it never has overheated.

My experience has been good. My car tends to run a little warm with the AC and 90+ weather (like this past weekend's trip to Carlisle and back) but it never has overheated.
Thanks John, although that brings me back to square one and I have no idea why it overheats! :BangHead:

"332" is the industry number for a Chrysler 26" 3-row radiator w/automatic transmission. That's the same number I bought for my '70 Monaco 383 N car, except I bought a genuine Modine replacement, back in about 1980. Worked fine with a 180 degree F thermostat. In some respects, it did run a bit warm in slower driving in the country, with the a/c on, but I also suspect that was due to a flaky fan clutch and possibly some gunk settled-out in the rear of the block. No big deal to me.

CBODY67

I had outstanding results with my "332" radiator as I've discussed here years ago. And other than the absence of the OEM part number and info stampings on the top tank, it looks entirely stock, unlike the very ugly aluminum units. My TNT would run between 190 and 200 depending on the weather, which are proper operating temps. I've noticed that guys install 160* or 185* 'stats and then expect the engine to run at that particular temp. Good luck with that, because that's not what a thermostat is for. The intent is that the engine won't run too cold in freezing weather and will warm up quicker by recirculating the coolant until that 'stat opens. And remember that the cooling system is pressurized. If you're using a 16 psi cap, that raises the boiling point to approximately 250*F, so if you're running it hard on a hot day, 225* is not out of line. Mine would do that and then return to 195 or so when I returned to driving like an adult.

This pic shows the lower holes that needed a slight mod to open the bottoms so that the rad slips onto the bolts loosely installed in the core support, but otherwise the fit and finish was perfect. The original shroud nicely aligned the the six mounting studs, btw.

Also, I installed a brand new Chrysler approved repro clutch from Tony's Parts. Store - All Reproduction Parts | Tonys Parts

1721398524240.jpeg

I believe I have a Spectrum that I bought through Autozone. It's been in the car for about 9 years now. Coming home from Carlisle this past weekend was the first time that I've noticed it run a little warm. About 200°, 90° + degrees, pulling the hills out north of Carlisle running 75-80MPH.

Back