AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENT RADIATOR SUGGESTIONS

HOT FURY

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am a the point of looking for a radiator upgrade for my 66 sport fury to hopefully help with cooling for the 470 stroker being built. I want to try to go with something that will either accept my factory shroud or has a shroud to pull air properly through the radiator at slow speed or stopped. I will be using a clutch type fan like whats on the motor coming out and would prefer not to use electric fans. Cold case has one that looks like it may work and accommodate my factory shroud too, the link below shows it. Any suggestions from anyone who has replaced theirs? I currently have the 26" OE one.

66-70 Mopar C-Body 26x17.5 Aluminum Performance Radiator

If you're not in a hurry watch Holley's clearance sales. I got a great deal on one for my charger I'm going to try this spring

I am a the point of looking for a radiator upgrade for my 66 sport fury to hopefully help with cooling for the 470 stroker being built. I want to try to go with something that will either accept my factory shroud or has a shroud to pull air properly through the radiator at slow speed or stopped. I will be using a clutch type fan like whats on the motor coming out and would prefer not to use electric fans. Cold case has one that looks like it may work and accommodate my factory shroud too, the link below shows it. Any suggestions from anyone who has replaced theirs? I currently have the 26" OE one.

66-70 Mopar C-Body 26x17.5 Aluminum Performance Radiator

I recommend US Radiator for the Top Quality copper jobs. OER makes an assortment of them too. Alas, I'm constrained by a 22" radiator yoke, so I must use radiators which have a bit more depth to get the necessary surface area AND volume to cool my 383 in urban southern AZ heat. U.S. Radiator has a line of aluminum radiators if you really want that. I like aluminum for cost effectiveness, short term, but the metaloid doesn't react nicely with cuprous or ferrous solutions or in direct contact. Oxidation remains a problem. B/RB engines have those big iron blocks after all, regardless of what sort of heads you installed.

AVOID COLD CASE!! Yeah, I used their product for 2 summers, and it did alright, then disintegrated in an electrolytic stew the following early spring. I had a good anode bonded in it also, to no avail. This guy in Chicago does better aluminum radiators, if you're budget constrained:

ECP 26" Aluminum Big Block Radiator - Big Cooling Tubes

I used one of his, with excellent result until it was destroyed by a malevolent insurance fraudster in 2021. Again, religiously bond a good zinc anode with ECP radiators, as per their instructions, and you should do well. His stuff is more affordable than Cold Case anyway.

The problem with MANY aluminum radiators sold in this country is the quality of the aluminum. I was advised by a radiator artist in my 'hood to avoid asian aluminum. What I got from ECP seemed sturdier, though not proof against eating the rear end of another vehicle.....

I recommend US Radiator for the Top Quality copper jobs. OER makes an assortment of them too. Alas, I'm constrained by a 22" radiator yoke, so I must use radiators which have a bit more depth to get the necessary surface area AND volume to cool my 383 in urban southern AZ heat. U.S. Radiator has a line of aluminum radiators if you really want that. I like aluminum for cost effectiveness, short term, but the metaloid doesn't react nicely with cuprous or ferrous solutions or in direct contact. Oxidation remains a problem. B/RB engines have those big iron blocks after all, regardless of what sort of heads you installed.

AVOID COLD CASE!! Yeah, I used their product for 2 summers, and it did alright, then disintegrated in an electrolytic stew the following early spring. I had a good anode bonded in it also, to no avail. This guy in Chicago does better aluminum radiators, if you're budget constrained:

ECP 26" Aluminum Big Block Radiator - Big Cooling Tubes

I used one of his, with excellent result until it was destroyed by a malevolent insurance fraudster in 2021. Again, religiously bond a good zinc anode with ECP radiators, as per their instructions, and you should do well. His stuff is more affordable than Cold Case anyway.

The problem with MANY aluminum radiators sold in this country is the quality of the aluminum. I was advised by a radiator artist in my 'hood to avoid asian aluminum. What I got from ECP seemed sturdier, though not proof against eating the rear end of another vehicle.....
thx for the feedback, unfortunately I already purchased a cold case and had the exterior coated

thx for the feedback, unfortunately I already purchased a cold case and had the exterior coated

Get the best zinc anode available to you and bond it to the ground terminal on your battery. Even with that, mind your coolant chemistry well. I'm sure ANY ions in that soup will catalyze the basic Fe+ -> Al- electrolysis. The zinc will help some, but change your coolant twice annually, check the pH and so forth, and maybe you will get a few more years use out of that soft, impure aluminum.

Back