Alternator bracket

66 newport

Reaction score
Hey guys, my alternator is super shakey when the engine is running and seemed like it wasn’t being supported very well, there is also a threaded screw hole exposed that’s built into the alternator. So after a little research, I’m realizing that there is a bracket that I believe i should have on there that isn’t there, and the one that is on there looks like it’s in the wrong position (the big red circle). The alternator has some slits that slides over the outside of a bracket and is tightened to the engine there (small red circle). I also attached an image of what I believe it should look like, but there are a few different ones out there so I wasn’t sure what one would work. Let me know what you guys think would be the correct fit. It’s a 1966 Chrysler Newport, 6.3L 383 with A/C, so there is 2 belts on the pulley.

IMG_9365.jpeg

IMG_9366.png

IMG_9367.png

IMG_9368.png

IMG_9369.png

IMG_9370.png

IMG_9371.png

This is the one you need for ac car. I probably have a used one available along with the correct strap and maybe even spacers & bolts.
IMG_7807.jpeg

Oh hell yeah. My engine bay isn’t the prettiest thing so a used one would be great haha. Let me know if you can find it! Thanks

Can someone with a ‘66 ac car handy provide some reference pics of the correct strap/bracket and spacer & strap lengths?
@Ripinator @Zymurgy

Ok the first pictured brackets are for non A/C, you have Ac.

@detmatt that bracket you are showing is for 1969 and newer, he has the older car, totally different brackets.

@Ripinator has the correct pictures. The cast iron bracket that bolts to the front of the head takes a through bolt that will hold it steady, the top strap holds the adjustment.

@detmatt that bracket you are showing is for 1969 and newer, he has the older car, totally different brackets.

@Ripinator has the correct pictures. The cast iron bracket that bolts to the front of the head takes a through bolt that will hold it steady, the top strap holds the adjustment.
I see, that’s how mine is currently set up but my alternator is super shakey when sitting out there

Take it apart and find out why, we can't do that from here.

Bushing gone from alternator ear, bolt to small in diameter? Loose bolts?

Take it apart and find out why, we can't do that from here.

Bushing gone from alternator ear, bolt to small in diameter? Loose bolts?
I tightened everything up, I guess the alternator is going bad, It seems like the empty screw hole on the alternator should be held by something

Take it apart and look at it.

The last guy that threw it together missed something. Maybe you bolt ran out of threads before it clamped anything together.

Take it apart and find out what is wrong with it

Got it, thanks!
I definitely have the older brackets too so let me know if it turns out you’re missing something.

It looks like my adjustment bracket was put on backwards. I went to flip it around but the hole in the end of the adjustment bracket is too small for the bolt that is connecting it to the engine.

IMG_9379.jpeg

IMG_9378.jpeg

It looks like my adjustment bracket was put on backwards. I went to flip it around but the hole in the end of the adjustment bracket is too small for the bolt that is connecting it to the engine.

View attachment 664537

View attachment 664538
That’s just messed up! What’s the length of that strap? The alternator looks way too far away from the engine.

I fo think that top bracket is going the wrong way. Adjustment slot should go on the alt, dont know if this pic helps, this is on mine, 68 300.

IMG_4350.jpeg

That’s just messed up! What’s the length of that strap? The alternator looks way too far away from the engine.
I can measure it in a bit but I agree, it is super far away from the engine. I tried adjusting the angle it sits at but the belts were super loose at any other angle. This is the tightest the belts can go so idk if I need new belts or what. I also tried to flip the bracket around, but the bolt that screws through the bracket and into the engine, is too thick to fit through the correct holes, and can only fit through the sliding part of the bracket.

I fo think that top bracket is going the wrong way. Adjustment slot should go on the alt, dont know if this pic helps, this is on mine, 68 300.

View attachment 664556
I agree I think it is the same. I tried to flip it around but the bolt that goes through the bracket and into the engine is too thick to go through the correct hole, the adjustment slot is big enough for the engine bolt to go through so I believe that’s why they had it flipped around. Should I try and get a new bracket with correct size holes? Should I just drill the holes bigger? I also feel like it sits pretty far from the engine bit and other angle makes the belts super loose, i kinda figured the length of the bracket would be the same no matter if it was backwards or not, (even though I would like it to be the right way) so that made me wonder if my alternator belts are stretched out or the wrong size? Thanks guys.

ripinator. in your last pic the lower bolt is loose and wearing out the bracket where the rust mark is.
I think I might need to get that bracket that the loose bolt is in for him. I’ll have to look closer to see what mine looks like but I might be missing that bracket in general and that might be why they had my adjustment arm on backwards. Do you think you could post a picture of that bracket online somewhere and I can try and order it? Thanks!

Back