And the results are in.. I think....

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
The donor engine has previoulsy been rebuilt by Chrysler certified rebuilder - you can take this for what that is worth but it's a cool looking tag.. :D
The tag shows .010" on the mains & rods & .040" over on the pistons.

The PO had changed the oil every 800 to 1500 miles. records included with the engine.
Still full of clean coolant as well.

Tested the compression on the engine for my Polara last night.

Seems good to me other than #4 being higher than the rest but I had sprayed MMO into the cylinders the night before

Timing chain has 3 degrees play.
Just have to check the valve clearances and re-test

1) 180
2) 180
3) 175
4) 200
5) 175
6) 180
7) 175
8) 175

The exhaust manifolds are in great condition with the heat riser working perfectly.
All heat tubes came off easily with a little spray on the PB blaster.
The engine looks a bit crusty right now but should be shining like a new dime in a few weeks. :)

Looking forward to dropping this Poly into place!

20140428_192344.jpg

20140428_192313.jpg

20140428_192322.jpg

20140428_192330.jpg

Looks like you got a mighty fine motor there. Now, all you need is a couple of Carter four-barrels on it and a wake-it-up kinda cam.

Looks like you got a mighty fine motor there. Now, all you need is a couple of Carter four-barrels on it and a wake-it-up kinda cam.

Ha ha!!!! I'd have to turn you down on that option.

I'd be afraid that the back half of the car would be left behind the first time I hit the gas!:sFun_doh2::sFun_doh2::sFun_doh2:

Looking forward to seeing your car in person at some of the local show and shines...if it ever stops raining...

Looking forward to seeing your car in person at some of the local show and shines...if it ever stops raining...

Yours too.
I am a way off schedule but hope to have it on the roads by July.
Where you located?

Look like a great donor engine, good luck with the project.

Any progress on the motor? Paint or it cleaned up. Thought this was a cool picture for ya.

I love it!
I have been busy with renos at my son's new house this past week though. .
Back at it next week for sure! !

Cool. They are great motors. You can really go crazy with them to get some serious HP and torque. I read an article on one that made 375hp with 428lbs of torque. Nice!!

if you're interested in reading the article here's the link.
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/poly318.html

I have read about the HP/torque monsters that these 318's can be built up into , but this one is remaining near stock at .040" over.

Not sure what CI that .040" would add to the 318..

Looks good so far. I really don't know to much about that year 318, but was the entire engine painted orange? Looks like it from the picture. I'm guessing it would be Hemi orange?

Back