Another Disc brake question.

It was the practice to include a power booster with any front disc brake car in the 1960s and later. EXCEPT for 1970 Camaros which could have non-power brake front discs.
A minor correction: Mopar made manual-disc A bodies in the late ‘60s.

Good morning, all. I'm considering doing a Scarebird front disc brake conversion on my 68 Newport. I have recently, within the last two years had my brake booster rebuilt,
(booster Dewey). It has less than 1k miles on it.
My question is...is it absolutely necessary to use a disc brake booster for this conversion? Has anyone used a drum brake booster with disc brake set up with success?
TIA. Appreciate all suggestions and opinions.

1965-72 Plymouth, Dodge C-Body full size front disc
I had this done to my 69 Newport convertible

Replaced the master cylinder with a new one. Added a disc booster pump with a proportional valve. Works great and has no problem stopping this beautiful work of art.

A minor correction: Mopar made manual-disc A bodies in the late ‘60s.
Smaller body platforms might have been good with non-power front disc brakes, as most import cars were. The manual disc brakes cars might have been around, but probably not many, I suspect. I know what it takes to stop my '77 Camaro with power front disc brakes. I would not want to consider what it might be with non-power front disc brakes, although they were available.

My other gut suspicion is that IF a dealer ordered an A-body with non-power front disc brakes, for whatever reason, they didn't order any more of them.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

If I were you, I’d get the dual-diaphragm booster. If I were me, I’d keep using the original drum master, as I still am, on my ‘66 300 that I converted to ‘72 C-body discs, in the ‘80s.

Like any good boy scout.

Smaller body platforms might have been good with non-power front disc brakes, as most import cars were. The manual disc brakes cars might have been around, but probably not many, I suspect. I know what it takes to stop my '77 Camaro with power front disc brakes. I would not want to consider what it might be with non-power front disc brakes, although they were available.

My other gut suspicion is that IF a dealer ordered an A-body with non-power front disc brakes, for whatever reason, they didn't order any more of them.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
I had manual 4 piston discs on my Dart. They worked fine. No extreme effort required.
I upgraded to the single piston style as rotors for the KH were not easily found. They worked great as well.
I have manual disc on my 300. feels similar to manual drums except linear modulation.

Thanks for that information. I'm glad you are pleased with the performance.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Appreciate everyone's effort and opinions. Good stuff!

If I were you, I’d get the dual-diaphragm booster. If I were me, I’d keep using the original drum master, as I still am, on my ‘66 300 that I converted to ‘72 C-body discs, in the ‘80s.
I just realized that I mistyped this comment. I did not use the original master. I put on a new ‘72 disc master and used the ‘72 New Yorker proportioning valve with new lines, plumbing it correctly for the dual system. What I did reuse was the drum booster. It has always worked just fine.

I just realized that I mistyped this comment. I did not use the original master. I put on a new ‘72 disc master and used the ‘72 New Yorker proportioning valve with new lines, plumbing it correctly for the dual system. What I did reuse was the drum booster. It has always worked just fine.
When you did your conversion, was there a noticeable difference? Do you feel it was worth the effort? Dual diaphragm boosters seem to be out of stock at the moment. Not in a rush to get this accomplished, just gathering information. Thx.

When you did your conversion, was there a noticeable difference? Do you feel it was worth the effort? Dual diaphragm boosters seem to be out of stock at the moment. Not in a rush to get this accomplished, just gathering information. Thx.
The discs are much better! Drums and discs are about the same for the first stop but the discs never fade, like the drums will. They are quieter, too, although that doesn’t come into play on my 300, with the 440 six-pak and Hemi mufflers, lol. Murray Park can usually hook you up with a rebuildable disc booster.

It's become a challenge to get new drums that are round anymore. Not as much of a problem with disc. At least it's easy to check a disc.
I have a brake lathe, and every single drum I get needs to be cut.
I think the shippers are beating them out of round.

Back