Bastardized 1959 "Coronet" build

what about instead extending the rocker in the back to make a body kit of sorts? Not sure if it would look good with a tapering out at the back?

what about instead extending the rocker in the back to make a body kit of sorts? Not sure if it would look good with a tapering out at the back?
That's a very interesting idea. I'll keep it in mind, thanks....

Ok, buggered up the first attempt at the little patch piece for the left side. Trying to fix too much shrink or stretch seems like a futile effort. Started again from scratch and got it on the second try. I sliced the Chrysler body line to lay it down and transition to the new piece... I might slice back a little more to make the angle a bit softer. Not sure yet... Getting there...

fender_patch1.jpg

fender_patch2.jpg

snag of the day... That torx bolt up into the bottom of the corvette frame that I was going to use to secure the newly shortened fender leg.... Ain't a Torx, it's a rivet.... Plan B.... take a piece of angle stock, weld it to the bottom of the frame with two weldnuts then use the original 1959 bolt holes on the fender leg to attach. Good news is that it will be a much better attachment. Bad news? It will only be 4 inches from the road...

Plan B has begun. Bracket welded to Corvette frame and fender bolted to it. New snag is that when I mocked up the new piece I must have had the fender leg pushed in too far cuz now the new piece sticks out... I'll figure that out too...

Fender_leg_plan_B.jpg

Lower brackets for both fenders installed. Alignment is pretty good on the Captain's side, still a little work needed on the Drinker's side. Both doors open and close nicely. And the added bonus for today? The hood **almost** fits! steering clears the fenders nicely lock to lock.

Less the air pump dragging on the ground and the remains of the rear inner fenders too close to the tires, next he goes outside for some poser pics when the rain stops...

After that trim up the front crossmember (bumper?) and tack it on then to the welding shop so a real welder can burn it on along with the donor frame section on the rear.

Also had the wife pretend to be a fender mounted mirror. I think they can work mounted right where there are holes today.

Fender_legs_welded1.jpg

Fender_legs_welded2.jpg

Fender_legs_welded3.jpg

Fender_legs_welded4.jpg

Fender_legs_welded5.jpg

Fender_legs_welded6.jpg

Fender_legs_welded7.jpg

I’m really liking this build. Maybe I missed it, but why the Corvette base, why not a metric Magnum or Charger?

I’m really liking this build. Maybe I missed it, but why the Corvette base, why not a metric Magnum or Charger?
I agree making it all Mopar would be very cool, but there would certainly be different challenges. I could not just reskin the doors, I'd have to convert the charger to a 2 door then reskin. I also am quite familiar with the C5 platform after DIYing the same drivetrain, gauges, all the wiring, HVAC, etc into my COE.

Have you considered shaving the lower front of the front fender between the tire and bumper?
And since you mentioned exposing the motor, a big monster roots with no hood?

Have you considered shaving the lower front of the front fender between the tire and bumper?
And since you mentioned exposing the motor, a big monster roots with no hood?
... yes and Zoomies.... LOL!!! I have thought about that section of the fender but only a bit... I'm thinking it might stay and have a small bumper like a 67 Camaro wrapping around that area...

Drove Boris outside for a few shameful, poser pics... Really happy with the stance...

Boris_Outside_Poser1.jpg
Boris_Outside_Poser2.jpg
Boris_Outside_Poser3.jpg
Boris_Outside_Poser4.jpg
Boris_Outside_Poser5.jpg
Boris_Outside_Poser6.jpg

I would imagine having that at the end of the driveway turned some heads! How are your rear sight lines when backing up?

yeah, a few cars slowed down and gawked a bit... Funny you should ask about rear sight lines... The trunk lid isn't latched and it came up a few inches when backing up. I could see absolutely nothing.. I closed it and could see a little.... very little.... Definitely going to need a backup camera...

Nice
Why didn’t you keep the stock front bumper? Wouldn’t fit, due to the rake?
Yeah, it would be dragging on the ground... I do have it and have considered cutting it horizontally, side-to-side so I can keep the cool turned up area on each end, but haven't put much thought into it other than that yet.

First thing that jumps out at me is a repop 67 Camaro bumper would already be chromed. I can't even imagine what rechroming the 62 bumper might cost... Anyone know?

Repop Camaro is 219.00

1695074380806.png

Back