Bastardized 1959 "Coronet" build

Worked on the rear FG bumper a bit. It's off the original steel bumper now but still needs a TON of work. The end pieces that go under each tail light are still in progress. Once I have those then I'll decide if I'm cutting the main bumper and pulling in the ends... New blingy headlights are installed. Waiting on pigtails to plug into the C5 harness... Ignore all that **** on the trunk... any flat surface becomes a bench... LOL

FG_Bumper_Hung2.jpg
FG_Bumper_Hung1.jpg

I'm also going to have to decide if I'm cutting holes in the bumper for the exhaust or just put on some tips that turn down towards the ground. I'm leaning toward the latter.....

I'm also going to have to decide if I'm cutting holes in the bumper for the exhaust or just put on some tips that turn down towards the ground. I'm leaning toward the latter.....
It would be cool if the exhaust tip was in the bumper ends in line with the tail lights. Kind of a 3rd tail light.

It would be cool if the exhaust tip was in the bumper ends in line with the tail lights. Kind of a 3rd tail light.
Oh, I like the idea A LOT!! Not sure I can snake it over that far while also keeping the bumper close-ish to the body, but I am sure gonna take a look... thanks!

That is so cool looking! I was at a show yesterday and saw this. I think it was a Chrysler Saratoga at one point, but I immediately thought of your build.

IMG_3799.jpeg
IMG_3795.jpeg
IMG_3797.jpeg
IMG_3796.jpeg
IMG_3798.jpeg

great pics, thanks! I really like it. I think I'd do something different with the rear louvers, not sure what... maybe a sun shade on the inside? I don't know Saratoga roof lines very well. Obviously it was chopped but was it also roof swapped with a donor from something else? Very cool....

great pics, thanks! I really like it. I think I'd do something different with the rear louvers, not sure what... maybe a sun shade on the inside? I don't know Saratoga roof lines very well. Obviously it was chopped but was it also roof swapped with a donor from something else? Very cool....

I agree, the louvers look out of place, a little too mad maxish even if they're painted pastel turquoise! Odd that he chose to point the dual antennas straight up, however this is the definition of a "custom." The amount of modifications to the rear end and bumper is a feast for the eyes! I would love to see this machine in motion.

Also odd is the newer Volvo SUV on one side is practically the exact same colour as the Corvette on the other side.

That custom is way better.
I like the louvers.
Sweet Custom!!

That stocker makes me appreciate and understand the custom work even more!!

Some small progress... Door skins are actually bolted to the Corvette inner door structure with some aluminum brackets I made. Yup, they don't fall off when I open and close the doors any more. The alignment is not perfect but pretty acceptable. I cleaned all the crap off the car and moved it from one bay to another under its own power. I might even get a little test drive in the coming weeks....

A few things need to happen first: Hood latches, seat belts (yes for the wife :), put the original rear bumper on for now so I have a spot for a license plate other than zip tying it to the frame. Maybe one more bracket on the door skins...

There is a car show on Columbus day that we might take it to despite still being very unfinished and a little ratty.

1 small victory... The AC idler and tension pulleys were making nasty noises and needed to be replaced before driving any further than down the driveway. Turns out they are not a stocking item locally. About a week to get them. However, it also turns out the AC has its own little belt driven off the crank. Cut the old belt and problem temporarily solved!!

First drives are the best!! Good news: It drives very nicely, straight down the road, no funny vibrations... Bad news: I can't get fuel into it because of the severe turn inside the 1959 fuel filler door into the 1999 Corvette filler. It's close but the gas station nozzle just can't quite push the little flapper. I'll need to look closer at what my options might be.... Of course a parts store trip had everyone in the parts store out in the parking lot.

First_Drive2.jpg
First_Drive1.jpg

Back