Bastardized 1959 "Coronet" build

That looks awesome. What’s the plan for the roof?
The 1959 roof is going back on chopped about 6". I think I have a good plan to integrate it into the Corvette's halo bar. I'll attach and seal it to the halo bar then hide the seam with a stainless piece like on 60s Imperials.

Last edited:
A little progress today. Rear bumper mounts dialed in a bit so it doesn't look like it's falling off anymore. Even though I replaced the idler and tensioner pulleys, I still have a slight noise. It might be the water pump, but it's sure hard to tell, no apparent wiggle. Tires still rubbing the front fenders, but it's no longer the outside edge of the fenders, it's upward movement and the inside surface of the fender. Not sure what I'll do yet. I see coilovers for the Corvette, but all the fronts advertise lowering the car. That's the opposite of what I need.

Got brave enough to chop up the B and C pillars some more. They lean into the targa bar now and are actually screwed to it. They look far better and no longer have sox on them. :thumbsup: Way more work before the 1959 roof panel goes on but it's forward progress.

Drove it about 60 miles yesterday to a family party for a nephew. The family is all motorheads, Boris was welcomed with great enthusiasm. Parked on the street a number of cars stopped to gawk.

tip of the day... When you install 4 bolts and nuts to hold the hood hinges to the car, tighten all 4 of them, not just 2.

Ok guys, I'd like a quick, dirty and cheap method to simulate the steel roof panel for mockup, slice and dice. Any ideas other than fiberglass?

Typically I use CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) but I think getting those curves at the rear corners is beyond my artsy skills. I buddy suggested tin foil... I might give that a try...

Typically I use CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) but I think getting those curves at the rear corners is beyond my artsy skills. I buddy suggested tin foil... I might give that a try...
A couple random thoughts... I've seen stuff like that shaped using insulation foam sheets laminated together and carved with an electric carving knife. That might not work where you are trying to get an internal/external template. Also seen foam core board for mock-ups too.

Back