Best molded hood insulation out right now?

BakonBittz

Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Currently looking to finish the hood of my ‘68 Plymouth Fury, I was wondering who makes the best molded hood insulation right now?

I dislike how few places have actual photos of the product, but at the same time I understand updating + maintaining that number of products is daunting.

Is everything just REM being sold through different manufactures? Price isn’t really a concern but I really don’t like paying more for the same exact item just drop shipped from somewhere else

I’ve narrowed it down to:

Mopar Mall for $350 shipped:
Molded Hood Insulation Pad w/Clips for 1967-1968 MoPar C-Body

MrMoparts for $250 shipped: (this is the one I was going to go with I think)
Molded Hood Insulation 65-68 Plymouth Fury VIP

Dante’s for $240 shipped:
DMPS-7261 Mopar Molded Hood Pads -1965-1968 C-body - dantesparts.com

Are any of these great? Any known to fit like junk and avoid? Thank you so much for the wealth of knowledge here!

I can’t comment on the quality of the hood pads except to say that they are very fragile and friends have had the corners damaged during shipping. My recommendation is to buy from a vendor that can deliver the hood pad to Carlisle or the Nats so that you can inspect it and not worry about shipping damage.

Not every 1968 Fury has a hood pad. It usually came on cars with factory undercoating. Personally, I prefer not to have one as they are hard to clean if they get dirty.

The hood "insulator" might be perceived to be engine noise attenuating, but the old-line Chrysler service manager said it's real benefit was to keep the paint on the top of the hood from being "burnt off" from engine heat. I had never considered that, at the time.

Due to their "molded nature" (and related stiffness), the "end/edge" damage is pretty easy to happen in shipping. Which might be one reason some entities sell the insulators as "roll goods", rolled up in a box, instead.

If you get one, do NOT store it where the cardboard can get damp in the box. Basically ruins it as the cardboard adhesive "melts" into the fiberglass, by observation.

All things considered, if the insulators are not sold as "roll goods", then there is probably one manufacturer that sells to everybody else. Look for shipping costs (with insurance) as an additional cost, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

ok I bought the one from Mopar Mall...it is a REM unit and in spite of what they wanted to ship it on their website they drop shipped it from REM for less...that being said I hate it...it was packed between 2 huge pieces of cardboard and the bag of clips was thrown in between them and damaged the face of the pad...it comes with the holes for the clips pre-punched...except they're not all in the right spots...and there's extra ones punched in it probably to fit something besides a 68 so if you look close you can see them...I needed to trim it shorter, and drill 2 new holes in the 2 front corners of the hood to line up with their holes...the clips that come with it are worthless...they are not spring steel and are too short so if you do actually get one in it will fall right out...i was able to get clips from Detroit Muscle Technologies that actually worked....it's made of very short chopped fibers and barely stays together...in spite of its molded ribs it hangs too low...I have an Edelbrock Performer on my 440 (5/8 higher than stock) and a Mopar Performance stock style unsilenced air cleaner and even after buying a one inch dropped base from Mancini it still hits the pad and started to destroy my pie tin so I cant put it on till I get to the show...and its wearing the wrinkle paint off the air cleaner itself...the car originally had some sort of generic fiberglass pad spray glued the bottom of the hood and everything cleared with the original air cleaner base...maybe if you have a 383 with a stock manifold or a small block you wont have these issues

Last edited:
1021221359.jpg
looks good from a distance

Not to justify the wearing paint issue of the repop item, the factory hood insulator on my '77 Camaro, as the car ged from new, sagged enough to touch the top of the factory air cleaner and wear away the paint on the factory 2bbl air cleaner. Once I tried to carefully power wash it at the car wash and it sagged more. Eventually, putting a hickey where it contacted the air cleanaer wing nut. That got worse with an aftermarket Corvette-style repop air cleaner. No matter how far the base drops, the air cleaner stud does not normally move lower, too.

On my C-bodies, no issues with the factory hood pads touching anything or sagging. Looks likd of like the OEM Chrysler items were a bit stiffer/stouter than what GM used?

CBODY67

Not every 1968 Fury has a hood pad. It usually came on cars with factory undercoating
Good call on buying it in person, I’m not in a huge hurry either so maybe I’ll wait until Carlisle to see them in person and eliminate the need for my question lol

My car does have undercoating and the real tell is they never removed it to repaint the hood so it’s pretty obvious it used to have one :rofl:

IMG_6257.jpeg

Due to their "molded nature" (and related stiffness), the "end/edge" damage is pretty easy to happen in shipping.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Always appreciate your thoughts and knowledge! More on the easy to damage below

ok I bought the one from Mopar Mall...that being said I hate it...it was packed between 2 huge pieces of cardboard and the bag of clips was thrown in between them and damaged the face of the pad...

This is the insight I was looking for, thank you for the very honest feedback.

Thankfully I still have the stock steel spring clips so I don’t need them thrown in to ruin it and then not even work to hold the thing on.

it's made of very short chopped fibers and barely stays together...in spite of its molded ribs it hangs too low…

In continuation with CBODY67’s fragile thought: I figured I might paint the back side with a coat of fiberglass resin to shore it up a bit?

I have a stock 440 except for one of those 1/2” thick Edelbrock 9265 heat insulator gaskets but all good info to know, thank you again!

I had some stock ones but not a full set and they weren't long enough to make it through the thick pad...left DMT,middle REM,right stock
1020221426_Burst01.jpg

I purchased a REM molded pad through QQE and am satisfied. Re-used the OEM clips, many popped out but after tapping them in a little further, appear to be holding....

Mine was a REM as well. Yes very fragile until you get it installed and secured. Once in place I have had no issues. I did have a little corner damage but nothing major. If I recall correctly mine was a little too yellow so I did a little touch up with dark grey paint I do seem to be missing two lower corner clips the pad did seem to be a little thicker
image.jpg

Here are some of the pre-punched holes that aren't used...there are 14 extras of these...just measured off another 68, the bottom of the pad is 2 inches below the bottom of the hood in the raised section down the center and 1 1/2 below the flat part or the hood
KIMG0342.jpg

Back