Cool "Car Art" Illustrations

1655608283890.png

I found this great ‘41 Thunderbolt print at an estate sale yesterday. It’s on masonite and the seller thought it might have been a serving tray possibly? The edge is mitered all the way around so I think it’s a good guess. Never mind the ‘65 pace car photo, that’s for another thread…
AF6C0402-F67B-4DDE-8F3B-8C0DDC287E0E.jpeg

1930 Monte Carlo Poster from Europe - "January" 1930.

The point -- even the road race advertising emphasized the 'need for speed" as a principle reason why people wanted horseless carriages from the beginning.

A big old boxy sedan (e.g., Graham-Paige, Chyrsler, Studebaker, Ford, Steyr, Vauxhalls, Pierce-Arrow, etc) illustrated tear-a**in' around the French Rivera region, some of it on snow covered ridges.

UntitledEE2ccc123NN.png

I found this great ‘41 Thunderbolt print at an estate sale yesterday. It’s on masonite and the seller thought it might have been a serving tray possibly? The edge is mitered all the way around so I think it’s a good guess.
This was real . first I ever heard of it. Chrysler built 5 of them in 1941. Lotta pics of existing cars at the link below.

Thanks @detmatt

1655651493056.png

source: 1941 Chrysler Thunderbolt Concept - conceptcarz.com

The Chrysler Thunderbolt Concept introduced a new wave of designs and industry technological accomplishments. The body was comprised of aluminum and the roof was a retractable, electrically controlled hardtop.

There were no door handles; rather they were operated by the push of a button. The windows were controlled by hydraulic power. The headlights were also carefully concealed in the bodywork. The aerodynamic design continued to the fully enclosed wheel wells. There were no A pillars.

The design was courtesy of Alex Tremulis, an individual who introduced many inspirational industry designs such as the Tucker. Based on the Chrysler Crown Imperial and named after Captain George Eyston's land speed record accomplishments, the Thunderbolt was a masterpiece.

Eyston had captured the Land Speed record in 1938 at the Bonneville Salt Flats by traveling at a speed of 357.53 mph. Using a specially designed vehicle that was over 30 feet in length and weight an astonishing seven tons, it was powered by two Rolls-Royce 12-cylinder engines.

The retractable top was so revolutionary; it would not be until 1957 before another manufacturer had a similar feature. The vehicle was the Ford Skyliner.

The interior of the Thunderbolt was adorned in leather. The two-seater was powered by a 323.5 cubic-inch straight-eight engine capable of producing 143 horsepower. Power was sent to the rear wheels courtesy of a Chrysler Fluid Drive transmission.

A total of five examples were produced with four existing in modern time, one residing at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum located in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Each Thunderbolt was given their own unique color scheme.

This was real . first I ever heard of it. Chrysler built 5 of them in 1941. Lotta pics of existing cars at the link below.

Thanks @detmatt

View attachment 538751
source: 1941 Chrysler Thunderbolt Concept - conceptcarz.com

The Chrysler Thunderbolt Concept introduced a new wave of designs and industry technological accomplishments. The body was comprised of aluminum and the roof was a retractable, electrically controlled hardtop.

There were no door handles; rather they were operated by the push of a button. The windows were controlled by hydraulic power. The headlights were also carefully concealed in the bodywork. The aerodynamic design continued to the fully enclosed wheel wells. There were no A pillars.

The design was courtesy of Alex Tremulis, an individual who introduced many inspirational industry designs such as the Tucker. Based on the Chrysler Crown Imperial and named after Captain George Eyston's land speed record accomplishments, the Thunderbolt was a masterpiece.

Eyston had captured the Land Speed record in 1938 at the Bonneville Salt Flats by traveling at a speed of 357.53 mph. Using a specially designed vehicle that was over 30 feet in length and weight an astonishing seven tons, it was powered by two Rolls-Royce 12-cylinder engines.

The retractable top was so revolutionary; it would not be until 1957 before another manufacturer had a similar feature. The vehicle was the Ford Skyliner.

The interior of the Thunderbolt was adorned in leather. The two-seater was powered by a 323.5 cubic-inch straight-eight engine capable of producing 143 horsepower. Power was sent to the rear wheels courtesy of a Chrysler Fluid Drive transmission.

A total of five examples were produced with four existing in modern time, one residing at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum located in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Each Thunderbolt was given their own unique color scheme.
I saw the one at the old WPC Museum, it‘s a sunning car.

Ducati 60.

Not sure year of poster, but sources indicate this scooter was made 1949-1953. Looks like that era IMHO, and the girl is quite the looker...

UntitledEE2ccc123NN.png

Circa. 1930;s. DKW, a German firm. Associated with Audi (four rings logo) somehow?

UntitledEE2ccc123NN.png

1931 German poster for a Grand Prix race in Bern (Switzerland),

Btw, I know little about "art" (e.g., styles, collectibility, etc.) but this apparently represents the following:

There is also more than a hint here of one of the most dynamic art movements of the early 20th century, Italian Futurism, and its celebration of machines, speed, and the promise of change.

I will look around for other examples in vehicle illustrationis. ...

UntitledEE2ccc123NN.png

Last edited:
1959 Borgward.

Germany company 1954-1962, went bankruupt mid 1960's, much of it sold to Mexico/South America, bankrupt again 1970s, resurrected in name in Stuttgard in the 21st century (source: Borgward - Wikipedia)

UntitledEE2ccc129 - Copy.png

Last edited:
Back