Driveline noise/drone/vibration

Keep us posted!

Are you going to follow-up at all on the out of phase issue? It seems worthwhile since you've got the drive shaft out of the car.
Not at this point. If this doesn't cure it, I'll look into pinion angle and probably take the driveshaft over to a local driveshaft shop.

I'm running out of driving time though... Winter is coming and I need to get a few things done before it gets too cold.

I am just about to do the u-joints in my Imperial. The joints are very tight with no play, but off idle on up i get a woop woop with speed and a vibration at highway speeds above 65. I think it is also the Double Cardan CV Centering Yoke
1729460978702.png

That now seems to be out of stock every where I look suddenly.

I am just about to do the u-joints in my Imperial. The joints are very tight with no play, but off idle on up i get a woop woop with speed and a vibration at highway speeds above 65. I think it is also the Double Cardan CV Centering Yoke
View attachment 687877
That now seems to be out of stock every where I look suddenly.
You might want to contact Driveline Service here in South Dakota. I have the blessing of having them close by.

drivelineserviceinc.com

An update.... I replaced all the U-joints but since I couldn't find any replacement listing for the centering yoke or the ball, nor could I find anything NOS. so I didn't try to change it. That was a mistake... Got it all back together and when I move the yoke, it still catches like it did before. No joy....

So, I did some research, actually a lot of research and I think I've come up with the proper replacement. (EDIT: Link to incorrect centering yoke omitted to stop any confusion. This one was wrong, see my next post) I matched all the dimensions to my existing yoke. I ordered one from Amazon (cheapest and fastest) and it should be here Wednesday or Thursday. BTW, the application listing seems to be early 80's Ford Bronco.

Since I've never had one apart, I followed @68PK21 440.6bbl 's advice and marked everything with a punch. Then I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and discovered no one has a good way of putting the u-joint the spring loaded centering yoke presses against. Thinking there's gotta be a better way, I grabbed a couple long zip-ties and cinched the yoke down so then I wasn't fighting the spring. Of course, this had to be taken apart so I can change the centering yoke.

These two pics are really hard to see the zip ties, but I think it gets the point across.

wxnKmpR.jpg

W4AGs9M.jpg

Last edited:
A swing and a miss on this one... The centering yoke came in last night's Amazon delivery, including the driver tripping and falling on the porch in front of the Ring camera. Everything matched except the center post diameter was wrong. I thought I checked that, but the new is 1/2" and the old is 5/8", so must be I didn't.

The center pin in question.

Ck1xUt5.jpg

PVLjUb3.jpg

I tried the two driveshaft shops in town today and no parts... I could order a new centering ball for $100 from one, but I wasn't confident that it would be correct... and $100 for this centering ball is a bit ridiculous. T

So, keeping with my track record of learning some things the hard way... I left the driveshaft at the better (of the two) driveshaft shop and they are going to weld on a new double cardan joint and I'll be done. That will take care of any balance or phasing issues at the same time.

Yep, should have done that in the first place and I'd be done with this.

@3175375 Feel free to say "I told you so". :BangHead:

Last edited:
A swing and a miss on this one... The centering yoke came in last night's Amazon delivery, including the driver tripping and falling on the porch in front of the Ring camera. Everything matched except the center post diameter was wrong. I thought I checked that, but the new is 1/2" and the old is 5/8", so must be I didn't.

The center pin in question.

Ck1xUt5.jpg

PVLjUb3.jpg

I tried the two driveshaft shops in town today and no parts... I could order a new centering ball for $100 from one, but I wasn't confident that it would be correct... and $100 for this centering ball is a bit ridiculous. T

So, keeping with my track record of learning some things the hard way... I left the driveshaft at the better (of the two) driveshaft shop and they are going to weld on a new double cardan joint and I'll be done. That will take care of any balance or phasing issues at the same time.

Yep, should have done that in the first place and I'd be done with this.

@3175375 Feel free to say "I told you so". :BangHead:

Sometimes we just keep pushing ahead until we win.
We are members of a really big worldwide club.
Cars, boats, motorcycles, planes........
That's just the way it is.

Back