Driveway is Done

How the hell can something grow under asphalt and push it up?

And everybody wonders why I am in a bad mood all the time!

How the hell can something grow under asphalt and push it up?

And everybody wonders why I am in a bad mood all the time!
Wasn't a good answer...

Unfortunately it's not uncommon. If there were any remnants of vegetation left in the soil before the surfacing, they can push their way through. Just the messenger...

2Xqb3FFNMnkwn343E2E6RHv2o1_500.jpg

th?id=OIP.jpg

weed-growing-crack-pavement-green-plant-asphalt-62240672.jpg

Last edited:
I have to agree with Stan on this one, that aggregate looks way to coarse and not nearly enough tar to seal it up properly IMO. So sorry to see that it is not holding up the way it should. :(

Fluck! Start yelling now and threaten to go public with it immediately.

I'd be on the horn with the paving company pronto! Seems they didn't prep the base properly.

Call them and rattle their cage.

Got in touch with them last night. He echoed you guys....pretty common with new asphalt. Once they are able to work again they are gonna come out and fix it.

Your driveway looks nice. It's too bad you're having problems pop up so soon.
Like Stan said, the aggregate, and how it's applied is the key to a having a solid, long lasting driveway.
My driveway was repaved in 2018, because it had settled by almost 3" at the entrance to the garage, cracks were appearing and weeds made their way to the surface too. The builder in our sub-division most likely found the least expensive contractor to do all the homes. Many of my neighbors had the same issues.
When they tore out the old blacktop, I saw how uneven the asphalt was laid down, with some sections just 2" and other sections about 4".
The contractor we used brought in 10 yards of aggregate and rolled it with a tandem drum asphalt roller to pack it all evenly.
FWIW, what I found when looking for a contractor was that most residential asphalt companies come with a warranty between 3 to 5 years.
Check your paperwork. Hope they make this right for you.

Driveway4.jpg
Driveway3.jpg
Driveway2.jpg
Driveway3.jpg
Driveway2.jpg

Your driveway looks nice. It's too bad you're having problems pop up so soon.
Like Stan said, the aggregate, and how it's applied is the key to a having a solid, long lasting driveway.
My driveway was repaved in 2018, because it had settled by almost 3" at the entrance to the garage, cracks were appearing and weeds made their way to the surface too. The builder in our sub-division most likely found the least expensive contractor to do all the homes. Many of my neighbors had the same issues.
When they tore out the old blacktop, I saw how uneven the asphalt was laid down, with some sections just 2" and other sections about 4".
The contractor we used brought in 10 yards of aggregate and rolled it with a tandem drum asphalt roller to pack it all evenly.
FWIW, what I found when looking for a contractor was that most residential asphalt companies come with a warranty between 3 to 5 years.
Check your paperwork. Hope they make this right for you.

View attachment 366948 View attachment 366949 View attachment 366950 View attachment 366949 View attachment 366950
Funny how differently things are done depending on location. Where I live, asphalt driveways are an anomaly. Virtually all urban areas are concrete driveways.

Concrete would've been my preference, but $3500 vs. $13K made the decision pretty easy for me.

Why do you guys use concrete or asphalt………..and no bricks like we do here.......a lot.
No problems with cracks.......
( just a picture from the net ).
langdurig-onkruidvrije-parkeerplaats-villatuin-schoten.jpg

Last edited:
Well the first driveway lasted 20 years. No way I plan on being in Illinois another 20.
Didn't mean to hijack this tread.
@mdh157 After your contractor makes the repair, seal it with the good stuff.

Why do you guys use concrete or asphalt………..and no bricks like we do here.......a lot.
I'd hate to see your landscaping bill. :lol:
Nice driveway BTW

( just a picture from the net ).
View attachment 366954

That is a sexy driveway!! Never really thought about brick, how does it hold up to harsh winters? And what are all the joints sealed with there, don't they usually just use a very fine sand?

Back