Electronic Ignition , Goop leaking out

This must be somewhat age related. My ride has not started in 10 years, and lives in an open carport with no battery in it. Last time I looked the goop was all down the firewall. Our hottest days (year-round) are in the mid eighties.

I'm not convinced that it's heat related. I've had brand new ones leak their potting resin inside their sealed box. I believe it's more of a chemical breakdown thing. Either way, it doesn't seem to affect whether they work or not. I've had leakers that worked great for years, if not decades.....and perfect looking ones that were bad.

I can understand the personal feeling of satisfaction from "saving" a brain box after the resin turns to liquid. However, the electronics knowledge part of me can not help but wonder what damage those components may have received from exposure to high heat and moisture. That resin wasn't put there just to hold things together! It has also been my experience, that the components within the brain box are often times the source of the heat that caused the resin to run, lose integrity, or bubble. These very observations are the tell tale signs of a box that is about to die or that has already come to a life ending moment. Unless you have an undeniably strong reason to retain the original box for matching numbers or presentation reasons, there are plenty of replacements as well as methods available, to make them appear as if they were an original box. Just sayin'.

I can understand the personal feeling of satisfaction from "saving" a brain box after the resin turns to liquid. However, the electronics knowledge part of me can not help but wonder what damage those components may have received from exposure to high heat and moisture. That resin wasn't put there just to hold things together! It has also been my experience, that the components within the brain box are often times the source of the heat that caused the resin to run, lose integrity, or bubble. These very observations are the tell tale signs of a box that is about to die or that has already come to a life ending moment. Unless you have an undeniably strong reason to retain the original box for matching numbers or presentation reasons, there are plenty of replacements as well as methods available, to make them appear as if they were an original box. Just sayin'.
What about a unit that has never been used and had the resin leak out. How would the internal parts be responsible for causing the leak?

The reality is that we could speculate all day long. I agree with the statements of others before me, high heat storage is the most likely cause in an unused unit. We should also remember that there was a flurry of cheap offshore knockoff look alike boxes produced for several years. Who knows what quality of resin was in those. If you decide to replace it, go to a reputable Mopar aftermarket supplier and enjoy the ride.

Back